Skyline Traverse

Skyline Traverse is a 12.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cooper Landing, AK that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is accessible from June until October.

Completed my goal of reaching the top! On the way back down I talked with another hiker and I realized the "top" I reached was just to the left of the top with the box. It was heavy snow at the top so I lost the trail. Anyway, I ate my lunch at the top and it was so worth the trek. 3hrs up 1 hr down. I was worn out but in a good way. Beautiful day. Oh, I followed a ram once I broke out above the tree line, that was a treat! Go see the sights from this spot, totally worth it.

Did half the trail to the top and back. Starting across the road from the parking lot the trail is steep but well marked. You will gain altitude quickly, level out for a short period above the tree line then another steep ascent to the top. Estimating nearly 2700 vertical feet. Plan about 4 hrs for average ability, bring plenty of water and anticipate 20 degree change in temp. Great hike and well the effort to the top.

geocaching

Great! Always a good hike.

Completed the Skyline Ridge Traverse yesterday, August 24, 2014, with a friend. We are young women of normal health who have regular moderate activity. We embraced the mystery of the Mystery Hills and left with a way-too-scaled-out topographic chart, a compass, a GPS which died halfway and sneakers instead of real hiking footwear. It was a rainy morning, so we took our time and reached the Fuller Lakes Trailhead at 10:30am. One black bear spotted on the WSW hillside. Past Upper Fuller Lake, we found that someone had placed some orange and then pink trail blazes. There is one bright pink rock that is a good visual for someone coming down from the ridge trying to find the trail to Fuller Lakes. We cut up the mountainside and found it to be mossy and intriguing and we took our time reaching the ridge. The trail blazes stopped appearing. The wind was steady and pushy; we trudged forth with very wet sneakered feet and prepared to mount the first peak. The wind was out of the SW and sent sharp raindrops into our faces. At this time, the GPS showed we had averaged a pace of about 2.2 mph. We only got slower from there. Even in the cloudy rain, the views we were granted were great and worth the wet feet. The moss and lichen was soft footing and the mystery hills unfolded around us as the weather moved in an out. Since we didn't, in fact, know how long this hike was to be, we had a number of false ideas about when we might reach the Skyline Trail to descend. After a grand total of 3 major climbs (which does not include the lesser climbs) we found some more pink trail blazes and then 2 young men signing in the "I was here" book in the orange ammo box at the top of the Skyline hike. This was at 7:00pm. We also signed the book and had a slippery trip down to the lot which we reached at 8:30pm. We never sped up and probably moved at 1.9 mph. We took many snack breaks and even took time to prepare hot coffee on a rainy ridge. The GPS died probably at somewhere near to halfway and told us we had gone almost 7.8 miles in over 5 hours. As a best guess, I'd say we walked 13 miles. I will do this hike again with fully charged GPS batteries and, even though the mystery of the hike is refreshing, I'll report back a real mileage when I can.

The information is misleading because it is not 18 miles one way, but 9 miles, and there is no way you are going to do the whole traverse in 4 hours. This trail connects the Skyline Trail (which takes about 4 hours up and down) and the Fuller Lakes Trail (which is 3 miles and probably 4 hours round trip). The other five miles are on the traverse, which is a ridge walk from one trail to the other. Most people go from Fuller Lakes to Skyline because the trail down to Fuller Lakes is difficult (read: almost impossible) to find from the ridge. Fuller Lakes and Skyline are well marked trails; the traverse is NOT a well marked trail, but fades in and out and you will want to vary your route depending on the weather. The wind gusts get extreme on the traverse. We did this trip with our boys (ages 11 and 13) and took 3 days to do it (starting late the first day). It is a challenging backpacking experience and involves lots of steep ups and steep downs. We did it in October, which was probably a mistake, but whenever you do it, be prepared for high winds and rain. And by high winds, I mean "lay your tent down" winds. An accurate map and compass are highly recommended if going from Skyline to Fuller Lakes.

This is a tough hike even for someone in shape...constant climb to the top and on top of that you need to bring all different kinds of layers.... On my hike I measured a 30 degree drop from just below the treeline to the first peak...also the wind at the top is numbing and there aren't many places to hide from it...best advice is to keep moving to stay warm...all this aside...climbing this by myself was a highly rewarding experience

This was a very challenging hike for us, it felt like we did Skyline four times during the day. The "trail" is straight up one mountain and then straight down. It appears to be the mountain sheep you are following. The view from the top is awesome. We were there for the fall colors, and tons of blueberries, though I probably won't make it my annual berry picking trip! Start early if not hiking during the long daylight season. We got to Fuller Lake as the sun was setting (long story,longer shortcut) and hiked out in the dark.(not recommended)