Carter Lake Trail

DIFFICULTY 4 reviews

Carter Lake Trail is a moderately trafficked trail located near Moose Pass, AK and features a lake. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

3.4 mile hiking trail to Carter and Crescent Lakes. It is a short but steep climb through spruce/hemlock forest to a wide subalpine valley of meadows surrounded by mountains. Snow can remain in this area until early June.

Up and pretty easy. No views till lake. Was raining and couldn't see mts around us.

This is a very nice trail. Just off the road with easy parking at the trailhead and a different world within five minutes of hiking. The presence of bears - whether or not seen - makes it s more pronounced hike.

Short and steep hike with switchbacks to help gain elevation quickly. Once at the lake it opens up and is more mellow if you continue on to Crescent Lake. this is a shorter hike to get to that lake than from Quartz Creek but it is much steeper. The trail can get muddy in a hurry and we had to puddle hop a few places because of a rainstorm while we were up there. Supposed to be good fishing at both lakes but I didnt bring my pole, perhaps next time...

This is a great trail to hike in the fall. It winds through forests. Berries and wildflowers abound. The views are amazing. Bring a tent and camp by Crescent Lake. Watch out for bears, I see them every time I hike this trail.