Bird Ridge Trail

Bird Ridge Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Indian, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Well marked & traveled. Not as steep as I expected for the first 2/3 of the trail. Last push to the peak was a little sketchy in some drifted snow but we managed. Beautiful views of Turnagain Arm and the Seward highway. A nice lookout only 3/4 of a mile into the trail. Enjoyed it!

Very steep hike with 5 or 6 false peaks... don't be discouraged, the view is well worth it!!! Be prepared to hike through snow, there's was about 6 inches accumulated from around 80% up.

Bird Ridge offers beautiful views the entire way.

This hike was incredible. It was extremely difficult, so it is important that you attempt this ONLY if you are in good enough shape. The whole trail was pretty much straight up, and there were multiple hope crushing false summits, but the views the whole way and the final Ridge summit view was breath taking. If you are looking for a heart-pounding, intense hike with beautiful views, this is perfect for you. We completed the hike in 2.5 hours, moving at a very fast pace.

BUG SPRAY!! The flys during the first half of the hike are ridiculous. If you stop to take breaks, you will be swarmed by at least 100 flys. Once you get above the trees the flys are gone. This trail is worth it if you push yourself to the top. I'm no John Muir but this is the best hike I've ever done, and possible the hardest.

This hike whooped my ass but it was worth the phenomenal views. Don't bring your dog unless he or she is in very good shape.

A beautiful sunny day magnified today's views! A gorgeous hike. This was my first time completing this trail. It was tough, as others have noted. Steep and uphill the entire way. There are several false summits, but stick with it! You will not be disappointed. I wanted a challenge and it sure delivered!

I ran Bird Ridge race style this morning. I was expecting a tough hike based on what i've heard, and I was not let down. Kicked my ass, but I never stopped chugging. Before the halfway mark, my legs and back felt like I was doing mount marathon- but probably harder due to the sheer length, prompt elevation gain, and teasingly copious false summits. The hike gains elevation extremely fast, and is uphill all the way. I would definitely recommend taking it slow if you're a beginner, because it will test your lungs and legs. Towards the summit it gets pretty sketchy with multiple boulder fields-- so watch your step there. The view once you get to the top is fantastic and worthwhile; keep pushing through and don't give up, the scenery is worth it.

It was long and steep trail with some switchbacks. It was awesome view from the summit to Turnagain Arm, North and South Suicide Peaks, Bird Peak, and Bird and Indian Valley.