Walls of Jericho Trail

Walls of Jericho Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hytop, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

Fantastic hike. Highly recommend doing this one. Be sure start out earlier in the day during winter daylight hours unless you plan to camp.

Did an amazing 2 night camp at the top primitive camp site with my dog and friend in the beginning of December. The first night we just explored around the campsite. There are some amazing rock formations here to climb. The next day we set out for the walls at about noon. The hike down to the valley was simple and beautiful with rock formations and creeks for my pup to play in. Once you get down in the valley, the water in the river is so clear and beautiful! You feel like you are in a magical forest before getting to the second bridge. We stopped and did a little tree carving and then set out to the falls. It was pretty muddy on the marked trail so good hiking shoes are definitely recommended. The trail is on the side of a hill overlooking the creek. Such a beautiful sight! Once we got to the falls we were in awe! It was breathtaking. We are avid hikers and campers and this is at the top of my list of most beautiful sights ever! We spent about an hour down at the falls just exploring. The rocks can be very slipper and jagged so be careful. There is a beautiful cave on top of the amphitheater with clear water rushing out! After some exploring, we headed back for camp and decided to walk the creek back to the bottom of the valley. We felt a lot safer taking the creek back but watch your footing on all the jagged rocks. We felt like wild women jumping from rock to rock.lol Once back to the river, the ascend up was ahead. We took a few short cuts through the trees but definitely a steep climb. Save your energy and water for this part! It can be very tiring and draining, even for us. In all, it was amazing! The trail says 6 miles but we tracked it, even with short cuts, and it was 9.8 miles all together. Took us about 4.5 hours with a lunch break at the walls. Would definitely do it again in a heart beat!

What a rewarding hike! The first 2.5 miles are pretty regular but then things start to change once you reach the bottom. You pass an old cemetery at one point about 3 miles out which was totally unexpected. I am not sure if my GPS was off, but by the time I got to the walls I was at 4.1 miles. Nonetheless, the final destination was breathtaking. It literally looks like a concert hall from Mother Nature. The water is so blue. The white stones near the falls get extremely slippery when wet so be careful! The trails are also muddy and my cleated trail running shoes worked perfect. I was moving pretty fast and am in good shape and it took me 3 hours. A new favorite!

Great hike. We did it with our 3 boys-two 9 year olds and 7 year old- on a super muddy and rainy day. Definitely not as hard as reviews made it seem. Beautiful scenery, waterfalls and definitely a great place to camp in the future.

Always good to be outside. I am a winter camper and this week was another outing. The first overnighter with my pup. Santa brought her a pack! Went to the Walls with Sasha (Pup), college senior son and his besty from high school. Arriving mid Thursday we hiked two miles crossed the first log bridge and setup up camp. After setting up we trekked up to the Walls and falls. Because of recent rains water levels were great. The mile in and out to falls are definately the calling card for the trail. We and several other groups camped on a cold
night. We were up and out Friday morning. The 2 miles out is a 1000ft elevation climb. The later is not technical and if taken at your pace is not to be feared. Honestly I was expecting more bluffs and stone filled streams. I will go again when the trees are full and water levels are good.

Well marked trail with lots of stones and roots so it pays to watch your step. Rest benches in good spots. Easy to traverse log bridge (2). The bottom is spectacular with springs, water falls, and trails to get around. The return trip is strenuous and requires good conditioning so plan ahead.

Easy climb down, steep climb up. I made the mistake TWICE parking at the horse parking lot and spend the day looking for the trail. Make sure you go to the right place. Fun place to hike and swim.

You better save some energy for the final hour+ ascent to the parking lot. When you get to the pond near the end, be sure to take the trail on the right to get to the amphitheatre, and then climb the two waterfalls to the very end.

Está súper lastima que no hubiera agua pero me imagino que en verano está de maravilla

Pretty challenging trail for a beginner, but I loved it. Took around 4-5 hours including the many rest stops when going back up the mountain. Entered trail in one parking lot and came out another. I finished the trail, but had to walk about a mile to my parking lot. That sucked, because at that point I had enough and was just ready to go. I will do it again though, but not until 2017.

Very challenging hike coming back to the Alabama trail head. The walls were amazing def something to see

I loved this trail! It's October so the leaves are changing. We've been in a drought so most of the water was dried up, so we took the opportunity to climb up and into where the pools normally are. Very neat and interesting to explore those areas. I wouldn't call this trail hard, but it's not a walk in the park either. definitely worth the trip for me!

Nice place me and my wife went first hiked in the Al side and camped and hiked out the same way.... About a month later me and a co worker went and hiked in the Tn side and camped it was a much nicer trail than the Al side.... I was really expecting more when I went the first time I think my expectations were just to high. It's worth seeing for sure

Waterfall was not going. I took the switchbacks down and took all the steep shortcuts straight up the side. Not too bad. Took me about 1.5hrs to hike out. The trail is pretty boring, but the Walls are awesome!