Sipsey Loop Trail

Sipsey Loop Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Hope, AL that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Lovely secluded area, waterfall, THE BIG TREE, views of sipsey canyon In all honesty 204 has basically ceased to exist south of the sidetrail to East bees Branch falls. It definitely requires bush whacking and alot of compass work. The features on this trail are amazing, East bees branch falls is well worth the hike and toward the southern end there are some beautiful and secluded areas. HOWEVER, south of the side trail to the falls the trail becomes impassible in places and requires a huge amount of care and patience. The sheer number of blow downs (more than 50 percent of the pines) creates a dagger like maze of snags and brambles.

Heading south on tr204 from tr224 you will eventually hit a fork. Left is the maintained 204 and right is the "non-maintained" 204a. I have hiked down both ways and both have lots of things to see. The 204a will lead you down to two water falls and a small canyon, good place for lunch. There are a couple campsites around as wellbut be careful as some of the ways down are steep and i could see them getting slick after a rain. Past the falls on 204a the trail gets very thick with lots of down trees. I had some problems getting over some of the trees that were too high to go over but too short to easily go under, I'm a tall guy so I had some troubles. The regular 204 has some beautiful sights as it zig-zags down towards tr209. Nothing too difficult and some beautiful terrain. Overall liked the two trails

Took us all day to hike this loop, about 7 hours plus a hour break at the Sipsey river for lunch and water fn. The terrain was not overly difficult but it was a LONG hike and we were beat by the end. We had a couple instances of confusion when it came to trail connections. There are many non-marked and non-maintained trails that separate from the main trails and can be a bit confusing. We brought three different maps that we found online, each had slightly different trails marked and there were still some that were not on any map, a compass helps as well. I would recommend reading the trail descriptions that Sipsey Wilderness Hiking Club have published online they are very helpful.

definitely worth the difficult hike! absolutely beautiful and peaceful!

This trail was moderate to strenuous because of the downed trees on the path. We went through this area with large packs and it was tough at times, but well worth the hike.

We found two waterfalls and the big tree at the end. The sight was quite breathtaking. Beware this was a hard trek. I am 37 and experienced hiker and my son is 15 and in excellent shape. The downed trees almost broke us near the end. And we did not have our packs. It is possible without a pack but really hard. With a pack you would be a dead fool I think. That being said you will be highly rewarded at end especially after some rain.