Shoals Creek-Lawson Branch

Shoals Creek-Lawson Branch is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, AL that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mature forest with bluff overview of Shoals Creek. Small stream and waterfall.

Nice hike. All shaded. Nice creek. The mileage is 3.9 and there was 29 floors of elevation.

A easy easy hike. It took me about an hour to complete. I did it on a weekday afternoon so there was no one else there. Very relaxing.

yeah, you might want to know that the trail is pretty long before you take your 3 year old daughter and your wife with you for a great day out in nature. Some maps at the trail head would have been nice or some mile markers on the trail ( I guess that is what this website is for...duh). Other than that, we had a great time and it was a great trail once you get in the woods and it was pretty well marked.

I grew up camping with my family on this property! I'm so glad they made it Forever Wild!!!!!

I would also like to add to my review that as a responsible gun owner who legally carries a gun everywhere I would like to apologize for the idiots that shoot up the trail marker signs. Who ever did that is not a representation of gun owners in general. If you are reading this and are one of the perpetrators please stop!

Great hike close to town! Enough uphill to get your heart rate up, but not to really push you too hard. We'll be back for sure.

Hiked both trails in the preserve - you have to hike part of the Jones Branch Loop to get to this one. Well marked and maintained. Horse trail crosses Lawson Branch Loop in many places - helped me to keep track of where we were on the trail. Pretty scenery - wildflowers, follows smaller creeks that empty into Shoals Creek and follows Shoals Creek part of the way with trail reaching bluff over the creek. Rescued a box turtle that was flipped on his back. Met 2 people on horseback. Examined a hole/small cave on the bluff - couldn't tell how deep it was. Used insect repellant, but bugs weren't bad at all. Took about 2.5 hours to walk both trails clockwise - easy pace.

Hiked this trail again yesterday. Trail was in excellent shape. Looks like some folks come out here to drink at night as there were several bottles around. I always seem to lose my way on this trail though it's easy to follow. I just have trouble correlating my position on the ground to my position on the map. Also I wish the blazes (there are many, and easy to follow) were different colors rather than red and double red. Overall great place.

Ok for being close to home. Nothing really special, just an average walk through trees.

Hiked this trail this morning. Great hike and not strenuous at all. Nice way to get away and a nice 4-5 mile hike if you do both loops.

Pleasant trail to walk to get away for an hour or so. Pretty views of Shoals Creek and a gorgeous little waterfall along the way. Part of this trail is the Jones Branch Loop. Cross the log bridge to get to Lawson. You can do both to make a longer hike. Some poison ivy along the way, so wear pants.