Ruffner Mtn Nature Park Loop Hike

Ruffner Mtn Nature Park Loop Hike is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Birmingham, AL that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trails... old mine ruins... beautiful overlook of Birmingham I started the hike by following the 5-Mile Trail. At Gray Fox Gap, I took the Hawk's View Overlook trail to where you are offered a beautiful overlook of the skyline of Birmingham and views down into the old quarry. From Hawk's View, I hiked up to Sloss Peak, then followed the Hawk's View Trail back down to 5-Mile Trail, where I continued to follow it's loop back to Gray Fox Gap where I took the Ridge & Valley Trail (the park's most demanding trail). I followed the Ridge & Valley Trail back to where it rejoins the 5-Mile Trail at Miner's Junction. From Miner's Junction I took the Hollow Tree Trail which eventually leads back to the main trailhead. This hike is one of my favorites. There are several more smaller trails that could be worked into a loop hike. The views are amazing and the history of this location is very educational. There are many old mine ruins that can be explored during your hike. There are over 11 miles of trails in the 1,000 acre park.

Favorite place for running in the area. There are not many people around because it is fairly hilly. the trails are fun and very different from one another.

I've hiked this trail to the overlook probably 10 or more times. It's my favorite in Birmingham. Very easy, but not mindless, especially if you come back up Silent Journey. That'll get your heart rate up. I just went with my Hike It Baby Birmingham group. We got a 5 year old, a 3 year old, a 10 month old, and a 3 month old, plus 4 moms and 2 dads all the way to the overlook within an hour and a half. So, like I said, this trail is easy but not mindless and there are some super beautiful views.

Awesome. Great leg workout. Fairly easy. We hiked from hilltop to hilltop near the shooting range. Awesome view.

Great view of Downtown Birmingham, and cool to watch planes take off and land from the airport. Its a nice active walk. Its not difficult but its not a mindless walk, either.

Awesome place to spend the day or even a few hours. Trails are in great condition. Great for trail running, hiking and geocaching. Great views and all kinds of things to explore.

There are many trails that are super easy, so there was no problem taking my 5 year old. We did Quarry Trail to Lookout. The view was amazing. I'll definitely come back, and probably do some more challenging trails when I don't have my kids with me.

Went hiking with the family over the weekend. Was testing out a new backpacking pack with my son for Boy Scouts. Clear trails, beautiful views, easy access in and out. Highly recommended for families.

10000 steps
If I start on the Irondale side across from the baseball park and do the quarry, geology and on to the nature center trail and back I get 10000 steps which is my goal for each day.

great easy hike with an outstanding view of birmingham at the end. also, for trail runners, the trail was kept clean and clear enough a few year back when i was running it regularly.

We had a lot of fun. The trails were well kept up and easy. It was just kind of hard to find the trailhead if you aren't familiar with the area. The old quarry was pretty. Can't wait to go back again

Wonderful trail and a great place to take the kids for a hike or adults and get a little history of the mt.