Richard Martin Trail

Richard Martin Trail is a 21.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Elkmont, AL that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rails trails

A 10.2 mile rail trail named after Richard Martin, who led a 25-year effort with volunteers and various community organizations to establish the trails bicycle, equestrian, and pedestrian trail in north Limestone County, Alabama.

Trail is easily accessible, mostly flat and has some good scenery. One word of caution, while it is dog friendly extended hikes on the gravel base can be abrasive to your pup"s paws.

Fun for geocaching.

Fun, easy, beautiful scenery

Ran the first 3 miles and back from the Athens trail head. Very well shaded and wide enough for bikers horses and runners. Will return and cover the rest of it. The Athens entrance of Piney Chapel has restrooms and a picnic pavilion with plenty of parking.

Nice little trail, we walk our dogs on it from time to time. Use to geocache down this trail, but most if not all the caches are inactive or removed. We even filmed a bit for our youtube channel on this trail. Was alot of fun during the snow storms we had this year.

I enjoyed this trail but to be honest was a little surprised at times what I would come upon. The road changed often from concrete to gravel to chert to black top etc. The trail take you past a battlefield site, a train trolley museum and ended at a beautiful old chapel that was quite quaint! The trail was beautiful and I definitely would do it again! It was a great workout and quite the challenge for this novice road biker.

Though I liked this trail there were aspects that I didn't love. Parts of the trail feel narrow because of the sloped trail shoulder. This took away some of the open feel for me. Other than that it's a great trail but beware that it is often frequented by horse riders and bicyclists. Keep that in mind if you're going out for a walk or run. The trail is long but there are several "stopping points" that could be utilized.

A great trail if you want to take a nice long walk. Very easy to walk or jog, just look out for horse poop.