Pinhoti Trail: Porters Gap to Cheaha State Park

Pinhoti Trail: Porters Gap to Cheaha State Park is a 20.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Talladega, AL that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

20.3 miles 4084 feet Point to Point

Beautiful lookouts and scenery; including the sunset! Plenty of camping spots along the way. It's absolutely peaceful!

Parked at Adam's Gap and took the Pinhoti to the top of Stairway to Heaven (rock garden that climbs 500' in >1/2 mi) with 11 year old on his first backcountry overnight hike. Pretty hike with plenty of water. Camped on overlook roughly 3/10 mi past top of Stairway to Heaven - and just 2/10 of mi shy of small stream and developed campsite just 2/10 mi further. Total out and back about 11 miles.

A friend and I parked at Turnipseed campground and hiked the Pinhoti trail then turned on to the Skyway trail and then finished up with the Chinnabee Silent trail to make for a big loop. The Pinhoti section was by far the most difficult section of the three trails in the loop. The trail is very rocky and has many places that make spraining an ankle easy, but the multiple overlooks are well worth the hike (although when we did the hike the weather was horrible and it was raining very hard so we could only see around 50 yards when we were on top of the vistas, which is why I give the trail a 4 star rating rather than a 5). The trail only has a few developed campsites on it so plan accordingly. In all it was a very nice trail and it offered a great mountain feel especially since it is in the not very mountainous state of Alabama.

I have hiked this trail far more times than I can count. I would call it my second home. I encourage all to move slowly, take in the views and the entire experience. Camping a little less than a mile from Cheaha trailhead is the place to go. The campsite there in the fall and winter is world class. Please remember to 'pack it in, pack it out'.

Pinhoti, Chinabee, & Skyway S Cheaha Wilderness Loop Trek Plan, 17-19 miles.
U can do it as 2 day hikes by leaving all camping gear in vehicle(s) half-way around at Turnipseed, which makes it tons easier sans backpacks.

A 19-mile LOOP HIKE in the southern Cheaha Wilderness area, combining the SKYWAY Tr with the CHINABEE Tr & a piece of the PINHOTI from Adam's Gap to Odum Point.

(COPY& PASTE LINK below into the URL web address line of your browser)

A group of friends and I took a 3 day trip to hike this twice now and we definitely recommend it! The best time to go is in mid October, just in time to see the leaves change. This trail provides great scenery. including a view of the entire mountain range from the peak of a mountain. A friend and I even got to climb off the side of the peak and do some rock climbing though i do not recommend doing this without proper gear

Great beginner backpacking trail. Easy to plan out mileage with great shelters along the way. To make your trip a little more difficult I suggest to hike over Dugger Mtn for your last day.