Pine Beach Trail is a 5.1 mile out and back trail located near Gulf Shores, AL and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.
The first mike was a nice gravel road through timber and swamps, and the last mile was next to the lagoon, alligator lake and then a wonderful beach.
I definitely shouldn't have worn flip flops on this walk!! it was a very sandy trail, but in the fall there are a lot of beautiful flowers and butterflies. Sadly didn't see any Gators!
There are four trails in this refuge. I've hiked Pine Beach and Gator Lake. March is a great time to go especially if you enjoy photography without the annoyance of crowds invading your shot. Trails are short and easy with some stunning scenery along the way.
Good hike with lots of scenery and a lot of bugs. Saw several gators in Gator Lake.
Beautiful scenery. Only saw two people the day I went. I would recommend sun screen as there wasn't much shade. The beach was great there wasn't a soul in sight!
Beautiful trail! Very easy walk on the sand road. But if you are going here you need to put on a ton of high DEET bug-spray and probably a long sleeved shirt and pants. But it's a very nice trail with some good ponds and animals to see.
Almost got ran over by a lady in a white car.LoL I was on the lookout thanks to reading previous post.
Nice walk on Pine Trail from Parking out through beach dunes and associated overgrowth, path is easy except the soft beach sand will wear on your legs. Potty has been added about half way from the road to the beach, nice convenience. Walked back on Gator .Lake Trail out to road connecting back to Parking. Few sea shore birds, butterflies, no gators :) , a little late in the season I think. Gulf water was sparkling clear and temp was ok once you got wet, fun days outing to the sea.
Good trail but way too short. it doesn't take anywhere near an hour and a half to be honest. an hour at the most. I have to do the entire trail at least twice for it to really be worth the drive. however if you are not an experienced hiker and do not want anything too challenging it's perfect for you.
1. you get to see some interesting wildlife. many plant and bird species, several species of insects, lizards and frogs. the highlight for me is seeing a cotton mouth on one visit and on another some type of water snake nearly as long as I am tall.
2.The views are absolutely brilliant.
3. you get to see maritime forest, swamp, lake, lagoon and beach in less than an hour
1. In busy season it is over crowded by tourist. I enjoy hiking for solitude and that kind of defeats the purpose. also it's not convenient if you need to strip off your cloths off and pee in the woods. it also tends to scare off the snakes and other wildlife.
2. it says foot traffic only but there is one elderly lady who drives her car down the trail on nearly every visit. she honks her horn at me and then waves. it's very rude yet she justifies it with the waving. That's not what you typically think of when you hear the word "nature reserve".
3. it's not a long enough or challenging for my liking
The bottom line: Great for beginners, over crowded in summer time, not the least bit challenging, if not crowded you get to see beautiful snakes and other wildlife and watch out for cars (even though the sign says "For foot traffic only".) .
Take this trail and you will not be disappointed, don't stop till you make it to the views of the Gulf!
A beautiful hike past marsh, sand, a lovely lagoon, and a reward of the least touched beaches in Alabama. It's always been clean and very swimmable when I've done this trail. The lagoon has had sting rays at the shore both times I've done the trail. There's a viewing deck at the half-way mark that gives you a nice rest and a great vista of the surrounding area. It helps to look West--away from the condos and tall beach houses that "litter" the area. The walk is easy and hits sand for a bit towards the end. Go for the whole day in the summer or just for the hike in fall and spring. You're promised seclusion and a peaceful beach experience.
easy and flat. great on a 60 degree day. Beautiful swamp, beach and lake. Fun hike with a friend