Palisades Park Nature Trail

Palisades Park Nature Trail is a 1 mile loop trail located near Oneonta, AL and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

1.0 miles Loop

Good for kids, light hikers, dog-walking, parties, and sightseeing.
This little park has a playground for children and plenty of easy-medium branching forest trails to walk along on one side of the park for light hiking (the branching allows you to head straight back to the parking lot whenever you wanna stop), as well as a kinda rough trail on the other side that takes you down along a rock face, which is popular for all levels of hikers and rock climbers (as well as sightseeing from the top of the cliff, which is accessible from the parking lot without hiking). One casual trail called the "Trail of Trees" has over 20 numbered local trees planted along it with placards telling some facts about them (I think a couple of the trees are missing, however).
Plenty of picnic tables, a drinking water fountain, and 4 pavilions (3 near the parking lot and one down a road that goes into the forest, with bathroom facilities picnic tables and a medium-sized field. The bathroom and road gate to the large picnic/play/pavilion area have always been locked when I hiked out there, so I assume you have to reserve/request this area for events.)
Several buildings with eating, kitchen, and bathroom facilities are available for private events. I've been for birthdays and Christmas events and have seen what I believe are weddings going on in the park.

Always a lot of Christmas lights around christmastime.

I enjoy walking my dog down the Trail of Trees and all the way down and around the longest of the forest trails. It's a decent little casual hike. 1 mile, but the branches allow you to quit at any time before the mile is up. The big uphill portion at the end always tuckers my dog and I out. Be sure to bring water if you take your dog! He appreciates it at the end of the hike. I refill his bowl at the fountain.

I enjoy walking this trail for exercise at least 2 times a week. You can keep a pretty good pace but be careful at the end near the park entrance ,it is fairly steep and the surface is loose gravel. Most of the trail winds through mature hardwoods. listen for the whippoorwills as evening approaches.