Oak Mountain Red Trail Loop

Oak Mountain Red Trail Loop is a 13.9 mile loop trail located near Pelham, AL and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

13.9 miles 1913 feet Loop

Longest trail in Oak Mtn State Park that offers lots of variety The Red Trail is the longest trail in the park and forms a loop. The Park says the trail is 17 miles long but when I hiked it with my GPS I only measured it at 13.71 miles, possibly due to tree cover interfering with reception. The trail starts at the North Trailhead and follows a Jeep Road to one of the highest points in the park. The climb is strenuous but rewarding with the views from the top of the mountain. The remainder of the trail is single track mountain bike trail that is heavily used by bikers and hikers. Be aware of the mountain bikes as they often travel at a high rate of speed. The trail offers all types of variety.... from scenic overlooks to rocky hills to peaceful flat terrain through the forest. You will cross a total of 24 bridges during your hike. The trail is well maintained by BUMP (Birmingham Urban Mountain Pedalers) and the staff of Oak Mtn State Park. Plan to spend an entire day on the hike and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Great all around trail. Good combo with some decent climbs.

Great place to walk.

Trail map and markings were less than optimal, but we had a great time.

Has something for very skill level. Plenty of miles to make a day of it.

Great biking trail. I live close and like to ride once every couple weeks. BUMP does a great job maintaining and expanding the trail system! Hikers... I have never seen anyone hiking on this trail and I have been many times. I know I fly through as does everyone else so hikers should stay on the other multiple trails reserved for hiking.....