Martin Lake

Martin Lake is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dadeville, Alabama and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and fishing and is accessible from October until December.

I spend 2.5 hours in this Deadening Alpine trail in a anticlockwise direction. the way heading north is walking at middle of the mountain, easy and no much good view, but on the way back, heading south, the route is as low as near to the water, many rocks and up and down. A good view of the lake, too.

This is actually called "The Deadening Alpine Trail"

I am from a Fort Benning and I often drive several hours to go up to North GA and Tennessee to do a lot of hiking on the Appalachian Trail. This trail is much closer and is just as cool. It is a little less challenging with out the major elevation gain as in the Mountains but I would say it's in the same ballpark.

I wouldn't recommend this trail if you are looking for an easy nature walk but if your looking for a challenge or wanting to get a work out in this is the spot. There are steep cliffs and tight areas. The views are amazing. I wish I would have found this place awhile ago.

I am looking forward to doing other trails in the area such as Cherokee Alpine Trail and the Smith mountain fire tower trail.

Steep ridges. The leaves and pine straw make for slippery footing in dry weather. Nice views of the lake.

I'm in agreement that this trail is moderate. The first part of the trail is a back woods hike that is a pretty easy trek. As the trail gets closer to the lake, the terrain becomes a little more difficult and the natural rock formations start get interesting. Along the way there are some very good lake views. At times there are some difficult areas to maneuver around, all-in-all a great hike. The hike is 4-miles including walking to and from the parking area.

If you don't have them, I would recommend some trekking poles, these were very helpful in some of the steeper ups & downs in the trail.

Fun trail, difficult at times. Well marked.