Lost Falls Trail

Lost Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Payne, Alabama that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The Never Never Land Loop was one of mine and my husband favorites. We went in April, we kept smelling this fruit punch scent and both thought a woman was somewhere ahead of us on the trail wear perfume. During one of our stops I realized it was this deep burgundy flower! Its called Sweet Shrub and is heavenly! So in the spring time and early summer if you thing a woman is wearing to much perfume somewhere ahead of you it is the heavenly flowers that don't look like much but smell heavenly!
We were shocked at how LONG this trail was. On the maps they give you they are not drawn to scale, which they do mention, but we didn't notice the little lines with miles until we were looking tring to find where we were. Still, this was on of our favorite trails. The trails were smooth and easy but with lots to look at. We ate our lunch at the Never Never Land Loop Campsite. We read the amazing trail journal that was there and left some snacks for the next campers on the shelves as it seemed like what most people did. The stream was flowing there and ice cold! We filtered some water and it was honestly the best water I've ever had. The journal said it was dry more times than not but in mid April it was flowing.
When we got to the Lost Falls, named so because most of the year it is lost but it was flowing as well and beautiful. It was a little tricky getting down to it to take photos but it was amazing. I highly recommend this trail. The spots that were it was kinda swampy had these little wooden bridges that made traveling it much easier and some were pretty long but kept you out of all the muck. I loved Desoto. I compare every place we go to to them and have to refrain from making this our only hiking spot! Its gorgeous! But I would recommend spring over fall, because you will see alot more waterfalls. When we went again in November 2016 EVERYTHING was dry. Where the rivers were flowing they were almost completely dried up if they were non existent.

ok trail. Very easy. A good trail for a family with young children. Be careful and watch for trail signs or you could get off the trail easily.

Very easy

Great trail for the kids, watch out for the poison oak and sumac coming in.

My kids and I hiked around this trail as well as Laurel Falls and Azalea Cascade Trail. Lots of great rock formations. Water was low, so Lost Falls was really lost. Easy, fun hiking for all with lots to see.

Competed 6/1/15. Fairly easy path trail. Not a lot of traffic on trail either. Overall was a nice walk.

Walked trail with wife, daughter and dog. Trail was well marked and had some good views. Worth the time to walk it.

Fun trail entire loop including the CCC museum and quarry all told almost 12 miles. Lost Fall is just one of the hikes that loops the Park. The map at the park headquarters was helpful. It showed the different trails blazes by color. The trailhead is about 1/4 mile past the park headquarters in Desoto itself. Good for kids too.

Beverly, myself and our dog, Chloe hiked this trail on 5/24/14! wow! the scenery is well worth the hike! the falls are the payoff! the scenes change from Rocky to dense woods! the trail is easy and leisurely. we met many nice people also enjoying the day! the spring day was filled with wonderful scents from all the wild flowers and plants. Chloe took a dip to cool in the laurel falls pool. going back in the fall for sure!

Do not follow driving directions. Trailhead is in desoto park! Maps within park mapping all trails. Easy trail! Ok!