Oak Mtn Mountain Top Loop Hike

Oak Mtn Mountain Top Loop Hike is a 6.3 mile loop trail located near Pelham, AL and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A fun hike that leads to the top of Oak Mtn and into the foothills My son and I started the hike by following the Green Trail to where it intersects the the Red Trail, we followed the Red Trail Southwest to where the Red Trail reaches the Peavine Falls Road. We then bushwhacked South up to the Green Trail. We followed the Green Trail North back to the Red Trail. We followed Red Trail North until we reached the Yellow/White Connector. We took the connector until it reached the Yellow (Foothills) Trail. We followed the Yellow (Foothills) Trail until it met the Treetop Nature Trail. We continued on the Treetop Nature Trail until we reached the parking lot where we parked. My son and I really enjoyed this hike. The views from the top of the mountain are very nice and we also enjoyed seeing the small streams we saw along the hike. We hope that you will also enjoy taking this hike that follows the crest of one of the mountains in Oak Mtn State Park.

I hiked this trail and it turned out to be 8 miles. Pretty awesome morning hike. Be prepared for some elevation change. A good challenge for a novice hiker like me.

Oak Mountain's White Trail (Shakleford) is accessible most easily from the North Trailhead near the camp area, or from Peavine Falls. Elevation is around 1200+ feet at its highest point. It is 6.3 miles from the trailhead to Peavine Falls. Great trail running. Some areas are a bit challenging on the descent amongst the rocky out cropping going up to the peak. Nice woods! Good year round. The complete loop can be done in 3.5-4 hrs with breaks. Take enough water and a snack. Dogs love the trail! Appropriate trail running/ hiking apparel is highly suggested. In the winter 32-40 oz of water suffices. In the summer I carry a 100 oz camelback hydration pack and an extra 20 oz bottle. A must for trail running enthusiasts.

this is the first place that i actually backpacked into and camped the night at when i was in my teens. even though this website doesnt say it, there is pirimitive camping sites along the trails inside the state park.

Actually this is a state park so it's a collection of 5 hiking trails and 1 biking trail. There is a small fee of 3 dollars to get in but that is not that much compared to most parks. The trails are nice and most are pretty easy. The hardest one is also the shortest one which is almost straight up for 2 miles.