Shoals Creek-Jones Branch

Shoals Creek-Jones Branch is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, AL that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy trail with good markers. Halfway point marked by a cool waterfall and stream running into Shoals Creek. Option to lengthen the hike by connecting the 2 loops. Total distance via Jones Branch ended up being a little over 3 miles (phone died).

Not bad! There's a lot more trail than shown on the map. We ran for a good bit of the hike, as the trails were generally even enough to allow for it, with only a few hills, etc. to climb. There's some sort of grave or memorial in the parking lot I was very curious about and we found a small sinkhole/cave on the northernmost section of horse trail.

Definitely a good place to go horseback riding! There's a large parking lot and a few spots along the trails with water available from the creek.

Nice hike! Pretty along the creeks!

Great for a fairly quick and pleasant hike.

Great trail so quiet and peaceful. Beautiful hike

This was a great afternoon hike with my family. We hiked in and were able to cool off in the creek. Fun for my boys. I wish there would have been a map posted at the start.

Nice walk in the woods along the creeks. Pretty waterfalls!!

Nice hike - did both foot trails in this preserve. Beautiful woods - trail is very well marked and maintained with red blazes. The horse trail crosses the foot trail in many places. If you can only hike one trail, the Lawson Branch Loop is the prettiest and most interesting of the two, since it follows more of Shoals Creek, but you'll have to hike about a third of the Jones Branch Loop to reach the Lawson Branch Loop. There is a large graveled lot at the start with a kiosk showing a map of the trails. If you take the trail to the left, you'll be on the shorter section to reach the other trail. I love that both trails are loops. Preserve is just north of Florence, AL, and near the St. Florian area.

Great ride!...there is a lot of ground to cover here, beautiful scenery trails are well kept! I only rode Jones Branch loop but I plan to explore the rest very soon. There is a nice parking area with a map posting all trails (I recommend using a tracker). Trail signs are marked throughout but could be confusing to some but overall it was a fantastic experience!

Nice place to hike. The blazing is good; trails marked well. Trails maintained but does not appear heavily used. Goes along the creek. Wear a hate and bring a stick to keep path clear ahead of you.

This is a pretty hike when I don't have the gas to get to Cane Creek Canyon Nature Preserve or the Sipsey Wilderness. If you do both loops you can do a 5-mile hike. The first time we did this trail we missed the connection to head back and ended up doing the whole 5-miles. My girls were in flip-flops and there were not happy! There is a pretty creek area and an interesting cave on this trail.

This is a very pleasant place to hike. There are several views of creeks and the river. It's very close to where I live and often go here for a quick hike.