Falling Rock Falls Hike

Montevallo, Alabama
Falling Rock Falls Hike is a 1.5 mile out and back trail located near Montevallo, AL that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A short hike reveals a hidden treasure... a 90 foot waterfall. Park at the locked gate at the trailhead. Go around the gate and walk up the road. Take the first road to your left (about half a mile from the trailhead). Follow this road and take the first road on your right. Hike about a quarter-mile to a road on your left. This road has large dirt berm across it along with a deep ditch, to keep wheeled vehicles from entering the area. Hike the small trail which leads around the berm and leads down the hill. When you reach the bottom of the hill you will see Eddings Creek and the top of Falling Rock Falls. Be VERY careful in this area as the rocks can be quite slippery and a fall from here could be fatal. If hiking with children, please keep them away from the edge of the falls. There are small trails on both sides of the falls that lead to the bottom of the falls. Once again, exercise extreme caution on these trails. There is a cavern behind the falls which is quite fun to explore.

Great experience, easy hike to the top of the falls, a bit of a challenge to get to the bottom. The second waterfall is an added treat. Bring a trash bag and gloves, idiots visit and leave their mark. Leave nothing of value in your car. Beautiful trip.

the hike was relatively simple for a 3 years old and a 6 years old. however, once we arrived at the destination, we were on top of the waterfall so I was very paranoid that my kids would slip and fall down. so we stayed nearby a creek which led to the waterfall ledge. I will go alone next time to check how we can get under the waterfall. Overall, it was a beautiful nature hike.

Amazing Experience The Hike wasn't to bad, all but getting back up the hill from under the falls. Beautiful sights just a great experience highly recommend it, it'll be well worth while.

I love Falling Rock. Short hike with a steep ending to get to the waterfall.

Beautiful destination. My son and I brought my wife here for Mother's day. The trash at the bottom of the falls wasn't too bad, but we still managed to fill half of a 50-gallon lawn bag. The highlighted path on the map in the app took us to the pump at the end of the road, so we had to backtrack to the turn off to go to the top of the falls.

My girlfriend and I went for the first time today. We had a blast! Waterfalls were beautiful! The hike isn't bad unless you decide to go down underneath the falls, then it can get a little harder. Great time!

two amazing waterfalls, really fun to hike

Wow. Beautiful waterfall (2 waterfalls). Biked in to the oil/gas pump, listened for the water and hiked through the woods (no trail here), following a trail of trash. Please take a trash bag and some gloves to leave the place better than you find it. The previous review nailed the directions. The app really helped finding the way much easier.

Long gravel road, we read about all the trash there and it's true so we took trash bags and filled them up. Somebody needs to care. Once at the falls...it's amazing. Very steep hike from the bigger falls to the smaller falls. Beautiful!!!!! What a gem. Our trash pick up didn't make a dent. Go left on the gravel, then take the first right. It dead ends but the trail is red dirt and it's on the left. Take a trash bag....it appears teenagers etc are partying there. Such a pretty place.

My 1st time using the app. So glad I did! Never knew about this place. Directions were spot on. Nice hike down to the falls which was flowing. Made my way to the 2nd waterfall as well. I'll definitely go back with my son. He'll love it. Can't wait for my next hike.

Went today with my son and the dog. Map took us right to it but got turned around a couple of times once we started walking. We parked outside the white gate and followed the map on the app. Look for the trail on the left that will take you to the falls. Cant believe I have lived here for 13 years and never knew this was here until I saw it on the app. Absolutely beautiful and the trail down to the bottom of the falls was fairly easy. Wish people would pick up their trash....kinda ruins it but unfortunately most places are like that nowadays. Saw a lot of broken glass so be careful if you take your dog. She enjoyed it too though. Will definitely go back and explore other trails.

Difficult to find, no markings. Waterfall was nice but had to be careful with area

Beautiful hike

Easy and fun hike. It was dry today so no waterfall but will go back after rain to see fall.

I had a really great time finding this place, and spending the day there with my boyfriend. We took some pretty sweet pictures and also found out some pretty cool history about the place. Planning on going back to explore some more.

First time on the trail! Directions took us straight to the falls. What a pleasant surprise! Due to recent rain it was beautiful. We trekked down and went behind the falls. Honestly, going down took more concentration than going up. 5 miles total. I'll be back!!

Very nice hike.
I explored all five of the trails, it came to a bit over 5 miles.
The waterfall was flowing nicely due to recent rains.

Short hike, only steep if you visit the bottom of the waterfall -- if you don't mind veering off the trail, there's a second waterfall nearby.