Dismals Canyon

Dismals Canyon is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phil Campbell, Alabama that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

I have been going to dismals since I was a little girl. It is absolutely beautiful. some parts of the trail are a little rough, but worth it.

Love this trail. The only thing is that it can be hard to follow. Got a little lost a few times. Never to far from the trail. I got some great views because of it. Also some of the creek crossings are worn out and washed away so you have to go to the end of the canyon to cross a makeshift crossing to get back on trail. Other than that is is great.

Easy hike with beautiful scenery. However, it's a little pricey for such a short hike.

It was was an okay hike but I personally did not think it was worth 10 dollars a person. It was not that long and there was to many people for my liking.

Best hiking in Alabama. There are different trails varying in difficulty.

fun and beautiful trial, worth the trip parking is tight

Parking was a bit of an issue as there were no traffic flow arrows in the tight quarters parking lot. In the midst of trying to turn around, my truck was scraped by a guard post. The trails aren't marked too well, but are worn well enough to find your way around. We mainly followed the path of other people in sight to see the way they are going. The addition of sand in some areas is for traction I presume and was more of a nusance than of any benefit. Other than that, the hike and view was outstanding

This is a short and sweet hike. Be prepared to pay $10/person and wait for crowds. I do not recommend coming here during the weekend or peak hours. Overall a beautiful place and must see.

Great hike, a lot of interesting rock formations.

What a beautiful place! Enjoyed the hike with my family which included our 3 year old. The trail was a little difficult for him but we completed the trail just fine. The staff at Dismals Canyon were very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this to anyone for a quick local, day trip.

Short trail but very pretty

I still haven't been down there to see the Dismalites. maybe this summer!!! :P

Really great trail to take the kids on. Went with a group as a homeschoolers field trip...was a blast. We were charged $5.75 per kid grd 1-6 and adults are $8.50. Would not recommend for kids under 5 because there is light climbing involved and the kids we had that were under 5 were not able to finish. We enjoyed it would not mind going again

MUST SEE! This is the perfect place to take kids. When you first arrive you must register at the gift shop/restaurant. Be prepared you will be charged $10 per adult, $6.75 per child. They do accept cards. The largest water fall is at the very beginning of the trail. Speaking of trail there are trails but it's more like one big play ground. Again making it perfect for kids, not that they can go unattended but you have a highly concentrated area full and features and sites. If you are looking for a trail to knock out several miles this isn't the place. We took every possible trail, site, feature, and even wonder off the area a bit and only logged around 3 miles. If you have children its a great place.

One of The most scenic Trails In this area. Easy to navigate, treacherous in some spots but those areas can be easily avoided. Great for kids. Make sure to get a guide at the visitors area lots of history tied to landmarks in the caverns.

Surprisingly lovely trail; I say surprisingly because it kind of appears out of nowhere :) completely hidden from the world around it, Dismals has some nice rocks, a pretty stream, and a very cool, removed feel to it