Cherokee Ridge Alpine Trail

Cherokee Ridge Alpine Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dadeville, AL that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful trail, well signed, pretty lake views, most scenic trail in Alabama

The trail is great! My wife and I did the 4 mile loop. It was so hot though. We will definitely do it again in the fall.

Deadening Alpine Trail is excellent. Well marked, great elevation changes, and good views. One of my favorites in the area.

Perhaps one of the best hikes in central Alabama, especially in the Fall. Physiography is not what you would expect in this part of the state. Depending on which trails you choose, this hike can give you an excellent workout. Views of Lake Martin and the Tallapoosa River are outstanding. Wildlife is often seen early in the mornings. Be sure and use DEET in the summer months as ticks can be a problem on these trails.

Great day!

Will definitely be back. We did the deadening alpine trail. Just up the road from the Cherokee trail and had some awesome views.

I've been going here since before the trails were there.

Awesome views of the lake! Will definitely get your heart rate going and work your glutes. Luckily there are some prime places to stop and rest and enjoy the scenery.

Loved it and loved the view. I did deadening which was a bit more difficult than expected but I still enjoyed it. I definitely wouldn't recommend this trail to anyone who wasn't experienced or at least in good shape. WARNING: Be careful of ticks!!! Fortunately I didn't get any but my dog who is on two different flea and tick medicines came home with 3!

Hiked the Deadening with my 60-something parents...it was very challenging. The 3.6 mile trail took us 3.25 hours, with lots of ups and downs and rock scrambling. Wouldn't recommend for those not in good shape or for those who don't have great balance. We were exhausted and sore by the end.

The views of Chimney Rock and the lake ARE spectacular, though. At some points, you are mere steps from the lake and could easily go swimming mid-hike in the summer. The first mile of the Deadening is an easy hike; the crazy part comes right after the cut-through that shortens it to a 3.6 mile hike vs. 4.2 miles. Note that the trailhead and map are about a .3 mile hike from the parking lot - just follow the signs, it is all very well marked.

Great, gorgeous hike...but be aware before you go that the Deadening is VERY challenging unless you are an experienced hiker or in great shape.

It was really nice and peaceful. I've done several different loops here, but the deadening trail is by far my favorite!

Very beautiful lake views. Pretty tough climb at the end.

Great hiking trail about 50 mins from Montgomery, AL. Well-marked paths along Lake Martin with a good mix of uphills and descent, appropriate for any level. Nice scenery!

This hike was the most difficult trail inhale done. There are so many ups and downs and back and forth I was exhausted by the end. I don't know that i would have gone if I had known how difficult it was until I was a little more experienced. Still glad that we went, but I will be in better shape before I attempt a second run.

Went hiking with my dad and brother early spring and had a blast

This trail changes with the seasons. In April the Mountain Laurel are amazing. In November the colors are striking. The water views of a beautiful Lake Martin are always special. Took the small dogs and they had no issues. They slept the whole next day.
We took the Chimney Rock Loop. Next time we will try one of the others.

Beautiful hike! Lots of rock formations. Relatively difficult. Things to know before you go: 1. It takes about 2.5 hours to do the full 3.6 mile hike. 2. There are steep inclines with rocks that are difficult for dogs to climb. 3. Make sure to bring plenty of water for you and your pup.

Fairly easy trail -- great for beginners who want something with a few climbs. Saw a description that this trail is the most scenic in Alabama. This is not true. We live near this area and it is very beautiful but doesn't touch the scenic beauty of northern Alabama -- especially the Pinhoti Trail.