Cheaha Mountain - Alabama Highpoint

Cheaha Mountain - Alabama Highpoint is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Heflin, AL that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

LOVED IT! Beautiful views and nice, short hikes. Great for kids and dogs. Very well maintained and marked.

can you camp anywhere on the trail?

geocaching

fun trip..taking in a few geos. ..

Loved it kid friendly :)

Beautiful!! The trail head is outside the park. Inside the park are several short walking picture opportunities. I'd rate the trail higher than moderate. Had a heavy pack and there are some tough elevation spots. Loved it and plan to go back:)

Really enjoyed this hike. Lots of opportunities for some beautiful pictures. The trails are well marked. Park is clean and well kept.

Loved it

I hiked this from the lake to the summit with my girls age 6 and 8 it is a steep hike. The trail is well blazed and easy to follow. Great views along the way. Once the trail ends it comes out by some cabins ( not at the summit ) so we were determined to get a picture with the "highest point in Alabama sign" and wondered along lost for a bit but eventually made it up and got the pics. About a 6 mile round trip to the summit then back to the lake. Great time I recommend doing it if you are considering.

We hiked from the Cheaha lake up to the summit. It was a very steep rocky incline for a large part of the hike. Really well maker trail to the top with multiple spots for resting, picture taking, and sight seeing. Once you reach the top of the trail it will end in a parking lot by some cabins. From there we walked the road to the highest point which is at the overlook tower. Just look for the tallest building and head straight for it. We followed the road around to it but that was a waste of time, plenty of cut throughs from the road toward the tower.

Great hike from Lake Cheaha.. Only about a mile or so to the top but over 1000 ft in elevation change. It's a steep, rigorous hike but the views are definitely worth it.

Fun trail, but definitely strenuous at parts. I'd highly recommend trekking poles

Completed 4/10/15. I was pleased to find all the trail markings, some were a bit faded though. Made a nice day hike. Would love to know of other more technical trails.

10/17/2014 - Went for a day hike at Cheaha also got turned around about four miles in, no trail markers. Had planned on doing a loop but the printed trail map issued by the park service didn't match the trail I thought I was on I came upon a triple junction that I couldn't find on the map. Back tracked to the start. This would be a great place to hike if the park service would mark the trail system. ( I came upon one junction & it looked like the trail marker had been used for kindling) Rick

A lot of trails to be hiked at Cheaha, got lost 4 miles deep due to poor markings on trails. Ran into a group that was also lost.. Luckily we were able to backtrack and go off trail to find our way back. 4 mile hike turned into 9 mile hike. Had fun but will not be back here.. Definitely need clearer markings and better maps.

Not a very long trail, but certainly not easy!!

ok

scenic driving

I have driven this area many times, actually got engaged on the top of one of the mountain cliffs. Very pretty drive. The Georgia side has nice views, but some of the best driving is on the twisting road on the Alabama side from the top. Sevral hiking trails in the area, and rock garden and bald rock are both worth viewing on the top of the mountain. Small park fee, maybe $3 or so. Also check out view from restaurant balcony, my sister was married there. Small lake and play area towards bottom of mountain on Alabama side also.