Cave Creek Trail from Cheaha Trailhead

Cave Creek Trail from Cheaha Trailhead is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lineville, AL that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

The Cheaha trailhead is a great starting point for many routes along the Pinhoti Trail. You can park a car here and do a day trip to many beautiful sites.

Cave Creek is a moderately difficult trail mainly due to the loose rocky sections that begin after mile 2. There are several places where you can get confused, they really need to mark the trail. There are signs in the most critical spots though. The best views are on the Pinhoti side of the loop. Most of the camping spots are on that section as well. I camped on McDill Point which is a spectacular spot

Had an amazing day!! The trail was great and the views were breathtaking!!! Sorry for not stopping the GPS when we finished the hike I forgot to stop recording. LOL, I highly recommend this trail and using this app. It helped me make sure we stayed on track and helped us find all the great sites along the trail!!

Nice loop with a few outlooks. The leaves we're starting to turn and we had nice weather. Fun to hike a part of the Pinhoti trail.

A tough one in some spots in the heat of the summer but McDill Overlook is mesmerizing and worth the trip. The plane wreckage makes for an eerie stop. Plenty of scenic spots to camp along the way.

Awesome Hike and beautiful views!

My son and I Loved it!

Magical place to say the least! We did this trail in May and it was such an adventure! Great terrain and landscape changes along the hike keeping it interesting! We saw a gorgeous endangered snake that was peacefully passing by. We came across old plane wreckage to explore as well! The views were incredible! We will make this a regular hike and are so excited to have discovered this gem in our home state!

Challenging

Planning to camp soon! Found some great spots!

I loved this trail! This is a family friendly hike.

Simple and fun day hike. The good views don't take long to reach and there are plenty of places to stop and explore. We stuck to the Pinohti trail for about 1.5 hours then turned back for a out and back hike of 3 hrs.

Not to bore you with same review as others, but this is a good loop trail. Easy going south on Cave Trail. WARNING. When you leave park and enter National Forest there is a trail to the right that goes nowhere but up. We met others that had turned early got frustrated and went back to trail head. Watch you GPS or just continue on to a well marked connector to the Pinhoti. It starts to get steep at this point and once on the Pinhoti you are in rock hell for about 3/4 of a mile. Wear good boots and trekking sticks are a must! Great overlooks and fun trip. Map shows 6.5 but it is closer to 7.5 according to my GPS.

Great trail for those seeking beautiful outlooks for mountain ranges. That being said, this trail can be difficult for those who are older, and have weak joints. There are several rocks to climb, and plenty of places to roll an ankle ( as did I and my friend ) make sure you come prepared, plenty of water, food, medicine, and you should be good to go! :)

Was a good trail but tough on a first timer

Great Trail. Looped from the Cheaha trail head, so we were only on Cave Creek trail for about 3 miles. Gorgeous flora crowding the trail (laurel and rhododendron), and a marvelously beautiful mountain stream. New trail markers, but this trail does not have a blaze.

I've done this trail as a part of my loops from the Cheaha Trailhead and connecting the Pinhoti Trail. Not too strenuous but a great way to get out for the weekend. I've gone Fall, Winter, and Spring and trails are great. Winter can get a little cold on the mountain so check the forecast.

There is one long extended climb, or descent, depending on which way you are headed. If you start at the Cheaha trailhead and hike south, you will go up the climb. Not technical but long. If you come at it from the south, from the top of the Chinnabee Silent Trail, you will come down the climb heading back towards your car at Cheaha. This typically means you have camped overnight along the trail.

A good trail, but not a used as the Pinhoti so watch for trail markings and the foot bed.

If you live in Mississippi or Alabama and are looking for a multi-day backpacking trip with great views, moderate hiking, plenty of water sources, and don't have time to go to The Smokies, this is it! This trailhead is just down the hill from the state park entrance and is a good place to start and finish leaving your car parked overnight. Start at this trailhead and hike south to McDill point. A great place to eat lunch if you start early or a great place to camp if you start late. You will be hiking on the Pinhoti Trail that is a through hiking trail in Alabama. North of Cheaha, it eventually connects with the Appalachian Trail.

The next morning (or if you are continuing for the afternoon) keep going on the Pinhoti until you reach the top of the Chinabe Silent Trail. There is a large area for multiple tents and a water source. Here is where you have to make some decisions about how far you want to go. At this intersection is where multiple trails come together that can for a short loop or a long loop. This is a great place to camp overnight as you have a water source and usually a lot of fire wood. I have made several loop hikes of different lengths from this spot.

Best bet is to scour the internet for maps and information on the loop trails, or stop at the store at Cheaha and get a trail map. All of it is pretty moderate hiking with no real big climbs. Hiking down the Chinabe Silent trail is a little climb and then further on at Stairway to Heaven is a bit of a climb, but nothing a beginner could not handle.

I've done these trails in Fall, Winter, and Spring and all are nice. Winter can get cold up on the mountain so check the forecast.

All in all, its a great place to backpack! Oh, and on Sunday when you hike out, stop for lunch in Homewood (Birmingham) at Johnny's Restaurant! Best food around!