Bangkok Highlights Trail

EASY 0 reviews

Bangkok Highlights Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near the city of Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and is accessible year-round.

1.5 miles 137 feet Point to Point

kid friendly

walking

views

  • National Museum
    A visit to the National Museum reveals the history of Thailand And how people lived during the different periods. It gives you a view through the windows of the past. The National Museum, located on the opposite side of Sanam Luang to The Grand Palace, was established in 1887 by King Rama V. The foundation collection was previously stored at The Grand Palace. The original building was formerly the palace of a vice-ruler. King Rama VII placed it under the administration of the Royal Institute of Literature, Archeology and Fine Arts which has evolved to be the Fine Arts Department.
    13.75837, 100.49173
  • Sanam Luang
    Sanam Luang or Thung Phra Men A vast open ground situated near the northern wall of the Grand Palace and the eastern wall of the former Viceroy Palace or Wang Na. At the time when Bangkok was first established, the ground was a rice field and was sometimes used as a location for a royal crematorium, Phra Men in Thai. The ground was, thus, otherwise called as Thung Phra Men which means the crematorium ground. In considering that the name was inauspicious, King Rama IV had the ground renamed as Thong Sanam Luang, or the Royal Ground, and the rice farming there cancelled. Later, King Rama V had the Wang Nas eastern wall demolished and the area of Sanam Luang enlarged to cover a total of 78 rai as it does nowadays. The place has been used as the crematorium ground for kings, members of the royal family and nobility, in addition, to being a royal sporting ground. The king also had 365 tamarind trees planted around it.
    13.75535, 100.49312
  • The Grand Palace
    Every visitor to Bangkok should see the magnificent buildings within the Grand Palace compound to get a feeling of the grandeur architectural style.Since the founding of Bangkok as the Nations capital by King Rama I, The Grand Palace has been the major architectural symbol of The Thai Royal Family. In the present time, The Royal Family resides at Chitralada Palace while The Grand Palace is used for ceremonial purposes.The main buildings within the Grand Palace compound were built for King Rama V, who was the first Thai King to travel to Europe.Phra Thinang Chakri Maha Prasat, built in 1877 by King Rama V as his Royal Residence, is the most highly recognized architectural landmark of the Nation. The central Throne Hall, which was formerly used for the reception of foreign envoys, is flanked by reception areas decorated with galleries of portraiture. The central room on the second floor is used as a shrine for the reliquary ashes of Kings Rama IV, Rama V, Rama VI, Rama VII and Rama VIII.Borom Phiman Mansion was also constructed during the reign of King Rama V. When his son, King Rama VI ascended to the throne, he had it improved for use as his residence. The three succeeding Kings also resided here at one time or another.The Siwalai Gardens, where the office of The Royal Household Bureau is located, were used for receptions as well as a recreation area for the royal women and children.Maha Monthien Prasat houses The Audience Hall of Amarin Winitchai where ceremonies of the Court usually take place in front of the throne surmounted by its canopy of nine tiers of white cloth. How to go there:The most enjoyable route is to take the BTS Skytrain to Taksin Station. From here take a Chao Phraya River Express boat to Tha Chang Wang Luang Pier. It is a short walk from the pier to the entrance to The Grand Palace public entrance. 
    13.75275, 100.49327
  • The City Pillar Shrine
    According to an old Thai tradition, a city pillar had to be built upon the establishment of a new city. King Rama I had the Bangkok city pillar erected near the Temple of the Emerald Buddha on Sunday, 21 April, 1782, with the citys horoscope inside. The original pillar was made of cassia wood known as Chaiyaphruek, measuring 75 cm. in diameter and 27 cm. high. In the reign of King Rama IV, the old dilapidated pillar was replaced by a new one made of the same kind of wood, measuring 270 cm. high and standing on a base of 175 cm. wide, sheltered by a Prang-shaped shrine as it appears today. The shrine also houses images of protective deities including Thepharak, Chaopho Ho Klong, Phra Suea Mueang, Phra Song Mueang, Chaopho Chetakhup and Phra Kan Chai Si.
    13.75252, 100.49402
  • Museum of Siam
    "Museum of Siam" is the first national discovery museum and a new age museum for today's learning generation. It aims to provide a fresh, living museum experience by encouraging visitors to think and making them curious to learn and to question. Particularly, it focuses on the interaction between the exhibition and visitors since this will lead to endless new discoveries.
    13.74440, 100.49435
  • Giant Swing
    The Giant Swing is located in front of Wat Suthat Thepwararam on Bamrung Mueang Road, Phra Nakhon District. This religious structure of Bangkok was originally constructed in 1784 and was proclaimed as the national historical site since 1949. With 21-metre height, painted in red color and the unique structure of wooden pillars it has become one of the symbols of Bangkok. History has it that in 1784 after the King Rama I had completed the settlement of Bangkok, he ordered the construction of Brahmin church and the Giant Swing on Bamrung Mueang Road, on the way to Dinso Road. Then, during the reign of King Rama V, it was relocated to Bamrung Mueang Road at its present location. There have been two major renovations of the Giant Swing. In 1920 during the reign of King Rama VI, Louis T. Leonowens, the wood trader donated teakwood of reconstruction of new Giant Swing. Then, in 1970, there was another renovation but the architectural style remained the same. The last reconstruction took place in 2006 using the golden teakwood from Phrae Province. In the past, the Giant Swing was used in the Tri-Yampawai, the Brahmin religious ceremony. The rite was performed as to pay homage to Shiva God as to commemorate the God's annual visit to the earth. The ceremony was finally cancelled in 1935 during the reign of King Rama VII.
    13.75128, 100.50110
  • Democracy Monument
    The Democracy Monument was started in 1939 to commemorate the 1932 revolution that ended the absolute monarchy and introduced Siam's first constitution. The design of the monument is full of symbolism. For example, the four wings are each 24 meters high, signifying the 24th of June date the new constitution was signed. The location of the monument, between the old Grand Palace and the Dusit Palace, is also significant. A copy of the original constitution is held in central pedestal. Oddly enough, the Democracy Monument was designed by an Italian immigrant. Corrado Feroci was invited to Thailand in 1924 by King Rama VI to develop a Western-styled art tradition. The sculptor stayed in Thailand, became a Thai citizen (back when that was much easier for a Westerner) and changed his name to Silpa Bhirasi. The monument has some interesting details in its bas relief panels on the bases of the wings, but braving the traffic whizzing around the site can be a bit daunting. There are plans afloat to turn Rajadamnoen Road into Bangkok's "Champs Elysees" which include underground tunnels to make access to the monument easier and safer.
    13.75669, 100.50175

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!