Mount Liamuiga Trail

Mount Liamuiga Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near the city of Saint Paul Capisterre that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A challenge, but well-worth it. Lots of climbing, so make sure you are in shape. If you're booking a guide, opt for an agency that provides walking sticks. They are helpful going up, but lifesavers coming down. Descending steep, wet, rocks when you are exhausted is a recipe for disaster without a stick to brace yourself. The views are outstanding. Be prepared for some humidity. Wasn't much for me, but I grew up in Oklahoma. My California-born wife felt like she could hardly breathe. Bugs are no issue. We didn't apply spray, and didn't receive a single bite. Great trek for the adventurous!

This is the toughest, most rewarding hike I've completed so far. It includes some precarious balancing and calculated hopping across ravines. The bottom is easy but once you get to the top there is some serious scrambling involved. It can be muddy at times and near the bottom the trail can get covered with mangoes falling from the trees. Once you get to the crater rim (you're climbing a volcano, by the way), you can turn around and go back, or go farther up, which involves climbing using some sketchy old ropes and get a great view of the Caribbean Sea, or take a really tough hike into the crater itself. I went farther up but did not go into the crater. I have heard that you really have to be careful to watch for open pits in the crater.

This was a gorgeous hike up a volcano through a cloud forest and I'm so glad I did it.