Lake Cerro Chato Trail

Lake Cerro Chato Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Fortuna, Alajuela, Costa Rica that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

We arrived at the trailhead - met someone walking by that stopped and asked for our ticket. In Spanish we were directed to the adjacent hotel. The front desk indicated there is a $12 USD per person to hike the trail the nearby trail. The adjacent waterfall is $14 per person plus $12 for this out and back. They will take USD, Colones, or credit card.

One of my favorite all time hikes! It was definitely tough, I had to stop multiple times on our climb up to rest and catch my breath...but definitely worth it. I also enjoyed the fact that we didn't see many people on the trail.

Hike up from Green Lagoon Wellbeing Resort. My husband and I did this last April. It was an amazing experience and well worth the effort. I will say it is NOT moderate in our opinion. It gets VERY steep, but we took our time. Not for the faint hearted.

Starts off easy but gets steeper further in. It can be pretty tricky to get down into the lake in the crater especially if it's muddy but it's well worth it for the swim. This was a moderately challenging hike that took about 6 hours return to complete including an hour stop for a swim. There was a parking lot and helpful guide working at the bottom to give us some insight and map.