Western Uplands Trail

Western Uplands Trail is a 59.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nipissing District, ON that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

canoeing

Nice woodland hike, almost no views though. The trade off is there's lots of wildlife. Proper food hanging is important as well as a healthy respect for moose. Especially bull moose in the fall rut.

Good

I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. It is a nice backpacking trip, it's good that there are three different loops of differing length to do and two different access points. I enjoyed it as the leaves were changing colors. There were very few people on the trail. It is challenging, many ups and downs, but the downside of the terrain is that there really are no vistas or WOW moments/scenery. Let's face it - most backpackers want a reward for their hard work and sweat. There are some lovely lakes and forest scenery though. The trail is well maintained, as are the campsites. I camped at Rainbow and Maggie Lakes. I personally prefer the Highland backpacking trail over this one.

This trail is fantastic, it has 3 routes all in a loop, a 32, 54 and a 84 kilometer trail. I completed the 32 over 3 days, parts are demanding with elevation changes of 150 feet. My brother and I saw 6 people in mid July 2015 over the entire route, beautiful campsites that are well marked with benches, toilet boxes and firepits at each site. We saw moose and wolf tracks and scat everywhere yet saw no animal's! I would highly recommend this hike and will do it again next summer