Wa-Shai-Ga-Mog Trail

Wa-Shai-Ga-Mog Trail is a 0.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Greater Sudbury, ON that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, and canoeing and is accessible from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

0.3 miles Loop

Wa-Shai-Ga-Mog is the original name of Fairbank Lake and is the Ojibway word for 'clear water'. A fitting name for a lake where it is possible to see for over 8 m (24 feet) into the spring fed lake. This short but challenging trail travels up bedrock outcrops and provides panoramic views of the surrounding forests, the Fairbank Fault and of course the beautiful blue waters of Fairbank Lake.

Short trail with some beautiful views. We stopped to swim. Clear water you can see to the bottom.

This trail is short ; it took me and my partner about 15 minutes to complete. While I would not recommend visiting this Provincial Park just for hiking (as this is the only trail), I'd be lying if I said that the exquisite scenery and the crystal-clear water weren't worth the visit... In fact, in a short while I'm probably going to return to the area for swimming, canoeing and lake trout fishing. The Park features one of the beautiful beaches I've ever seen, it's really too bad that my phone ran out of batteries and I couldn't take a picture of it. One thing I'll mention about Wa-Shai-Ga-Mog is that it's quite elevated and makes for a nice little workout without being too challenging for beginners. There is also a bench at the top of a rock for hikers to relax and enjoy the view.