Thornton Bales Conservation Area

Thornton Bales Conservation Area is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near King, ON that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Thornton Bales Conservation Area is famous for its steep slopes and rugged beauty. This Area of Natural and Scientific Interest (ANSI) is part of the Oak Ridges Moraine, and has an elevation that drops 54 metres from its southwest corner to its northern boundary. Nicknamed "The 99 Steps", this conservation area is best suited to people who are in good physical condition and enjoy a challenge. Water bottles and comfortable footwear are strongly recommended for hikers targeting these woodland trails. Among the wildlife that can be found in this ravine-like setting are pileated woodpeckers and white tailed deer.

Hiking shoes are a must. Some mud - some hills - overall a very moderate trail with great views.

it was nice, but could use a more accurate mapping system. I ended up at jokers hill and not on purpose.

Awesome trail! Definitely wear your hiking shoes! A great workout with lots of ups and downs. Very easy to get lost this app is very helpful!

Great trail be careful I went with my kids and got lost

There was a lot of hills, it was a great and challenging trail for us!!! We loved it!!

It was a good trail that took approximately 1hr 15min to complete. While on the trail there were a few forks with different difficulty levels. We picked the hardest route which meant climbing up two steep slopes. This trail wasn't that scenic, more of a nature walk perfect for dogs. If I had to rate the the difficulty of this trail it would be a 2 out of 5 with 5 being the most difficult.

Great trail. Only thing is that no one abides by the on-leash rule and random dogs kept running up to me and my Shepherd.

Long walk with my dog. My only issue is there were a lot of people with their dogs off leash and my dog does not like strange dogs coming up to her. It makes her uncomfortable. I would have preferred owners to keep their dogs on the leash.