Emerald Triangle

Emerald Triangle is a 11.6 mile loop trail located near Columbia-Shuswap, BC that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until September.

Definitely one of those hikes that one would want to do on a sunny day. Unfortunately, one of our friends got sick, but refused to stay at the hotel, so as an organizer I had to move our hikes around and I have settled for Emerald Lake, because it is beautiful no matter what the weather is like and relatively short with an opportunity to cut shorter depending on the weather conditions and how our friend would feel.
We have parked at the Emerald Lodge (worth coming early in the morning - 9ish is ideal) because the views are unsecured by the busses of tourists flooding the area :). After taking a few picks we took the trail behind the boathouse and walked around the like. Around half way through, on the other side of the lake we took the trail leading to the Yoho Pass - about 4.8km. Our friend didn't feel too good so we have left him by the waterfalls and continued through the rocky open area marked by a rock avalanche and then through the forest. Although we didn't meet anyone on the trail, a fresh poop of deer and a large one of a mother bear with little cubs indicated that we are following the footpaths of animals that we really wish we wouldn't have to encounter - especially that none of us had a bear spray with us. So for the next half an hour we were whistling, singing & clapping, generally speaking scarring everything within a mile radiant :) The forest at the beginning is very thick and the path up the mountain isn't really challenging. However at the top of the mountain the forest begins to open up creating a perfect environment for a wildlife. At the Yoho Pass my two friends decided to continue to the Yoho Lake only 0.7km away. If not for the fear of bears, it would definitely be a pleasurable walk in a park, but unfortunately it wasn't. We were surrounded by a complete silence, forest looked like as if it was removed from the horror movie and upon our arrival at the lake, with two red Adirondack Chairs on the peninsula, deserted campsite and the scary looking pall to hang food in the air preventing bears to get hold of it the place looked utterly creepy :) On the top of it, the moment we stopped at the Yoho Lake admiring undeniably beautiful views, we were attacked by clouds of vicious insects hungry for fresh blood. We have turned around as quickly as we could and whistling, singing and laughing nervously we retreated from the unfriendly yet gorgeous looking surroundings.
We have reunited with a friend of ours by the waterfalls exactly at the time when it started raining and after a snack we continued hiking down the trail. At the bottom of the Emerald Lake we have completed the loop around the lake and stopped for a warm soup at the restaurant in Emerald Resort, which I strongly recommend.
I would rate this trail as easy and under different circumstances I would definitely add to it Burgess Pass and come back to the parking lost east of the Lodge - but this time I would definitely bring with me Bear Spray :)