Yamnuska Ridge & CMC Valley Trail

Yamnuska Ridge & CMC Valley Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bighorn No 8, AB that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until October.

oh my, i rode mtbike (and i ride still at this very moment) a lot this summer that really helped me did the loop last Saturday 15Oct2016. Started at 1145a and came back down to the parking lot around 600p because i was slow. with my two buddies who took care almost every step i make especially on those dangerous parts up to that chain grab all the way to the summit. wow, was awesome but so nervous until i landed that trail down the hill. scary folks for beginners like me, not recommended. you need to be fit (if tired, take a rest, you need this), of course food and water, and focused whilst doing these top trails up to the summit but for intermediate plus hikers? oh yeah it is going to be fun and they know what to do. be careful up there! 4 stars from me, difficult.

Great hike 2nd time around. I would rate this on the higher end of intermediate. If you are leery of heights prepare yourself.

This is an incredible hike, but be warned it is not for the faint of heart or intermediate hiker, especially to get to the summit. There is a ton of scrambling and scree skiing. Various terrains and lookout points along the way and make sure you are comfortable if you get off the trail. There are blue markers, but not always easy to find. Enjoy this amazing hike but it is not intermediate!

this is so far the most memorable hike so far. views are incredible, both foothills and mountains. all types of terrain.

We did Yam a week ago, in the snow that came on the Sunday morning. The blue markers were great guides along the way; we were the first to hit the trail therefore marking the path so without the blue markers (when they were visible), we would have had much more difficulty route funding. As there was no one else on the trail that day, we had to turn back at the chain because we lost the route. We've dissected where we turned back and were told by the Park Ranger (we saw in the parking lot) that we did in fact reach the chain.

There was about an inch to inch and a half of snow and then there was a flash blizzard it seemed! We had timed it so that by the time we reached the chain area the system would have cleared but it ended up hanging around 3 hours longer than radar showed it would.

Anyway, all that to say, the hike was amazing. Route finding was the best part! We will conquer Yam before the real snow comes!!!

Beautiful hike. Coming back down is the hardest. Easy to get off the trail, keep track of those blue squares at the harder part of the accent.

Great hike though. would do it again, and recommend it to anyone.

The best hiking I've ever done so far. It challenges you. It tests you. Fantastic views all the way to the top.

One of my favourite hikes!! Make sure to stay right when you reach the first fork with the sign - heading left will take you the climbing route!! The hike goes through a beautiful birch forest and wraps around the back of the mountain for amazing views of the prairies as they become the Rocky Mountains! There are a few obstacles along the way that are a little scary but it is so rewarding when you reach the summit!! The trail loops around the opposite side of the mountain on the descent, the scramble down is very steep and quite terrifying so come prepared! All in all this was one of the most beautiful, unique and exciting hikes I've ever done!

A good hike with good reward. Fun and challenging. The scramble adds that much more. Awesome that is so close to get to.

Make sure to go to the right when you reach the first fork!! You complete the loop counter clockwise. There are many different trails once you get close to the top which can be confusing. You will see blue squares painted on the rocks to mark the trail once at the top so be sure to follow them! Watch your footing and tread carefully. Some rocks are worn and slippery and there are lots of areas with shifting rock. First half of this hike is moderate, last half is difficult. The chains are not for the faint of heart, there are spaces in the ledge where are are no foot holds.

Probably one of the best hikes closest to Calgary ! Easy to moderate hike once you reach the rocks, but this is where the fun begins ! Plenty of scrambling but not the least but boring. Moderate to difficult, depending on who you ask but so worth it once you reach the top !

Was our first hike that wasn't easy! Was great and totally worth the views. I proved to be very out of shape on the way up - but the views are motivating.

We accidentally ended up going back down the way we came up instead of doing the loop. Will be coming back to this one to do the ridge.

I like this one! Lots fun angles to look at plenty of beautiful views the aspen trees are spectacular in the fall!