Upper Kananaskis Lake Trail

Upper Kananaskis Lake Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alberta, AB that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

Pretty easy, well maintained, brought a couple of dogs. Only went an hour out and back. Good for families.

Fantastic trail around a most beautiful lake. Makes for a full day if you decide to complete the full route. Something for everyone and not difficult by any means.

I hiked a total of 17.5 km. very nice scenery, mountains all around. soft ground for most of the trail. there's a 1-2 km stretch of shale and big Rock. waterfalls, and bridges. not much incline makes it a very good trail for beginners.

I found this to be very easy. I would recommend this hike for families.

This hike is absolutely beautiful! I only did some of it but I am planning to go back and do Rawson lake hike.

Excellent hike. Nice surroundings and well-maintained trail. 4.5 hours

A beautiful hike around the lake- we walked counterclockwise around the lake and we clocked our route at 18 k - longer than we thought!

It took 5 hours with a 20 min lunch break at Point campground and small snack breaks. Bring lots of water ! I ran out as I brought just 1 litre.

awesome

Completed today May 1, 2016 what an amazing hike!. We hiked it clockwise starting near the boat launch this is the more snow packed side of the lake at the moment so it's good if you want to get the difficult stuff over with early on. The other side of the lake was 100% dry. We stopped for lunch near the falls a bit before point campground such an amazing spot, there's large flat rocks that you can enjoy lunch on right below the falls :) Took us about 5.5 hours with many breaks and photo ops! Will rate moderate just because of the length the trail itself is pretty easy and straightforward my recorded route was roughly 17k

Loved it. A lot of the trail was still covered in snow. Had I more time for light, I would've pushed through the rest of the circle. I'll be going back, for sure!
Path is very dog friendly too.

This is one of my favourite trails for hiking. I usually do it at least twice per year. On this day I took my five year old son. Doing the circuit counter-clockwise, we were able to complete the hike in seven hours. This included an hour of breaks and taking our time to enjoy the sites. I never get bored of this hike as there is always something new to see.

On this day, we encounter all four seasons of weather from snow to sunshine. The temperature fluctuated from 12 degrees (C) to 6 degrees. The west side of the lake was mostly bone dry. The return route was wet and muddy. Gaitors and rain-gear recommended for this time of the year. Also, don't forget bear spray.

The bridge at Sarrail Creek crossing (the last waterfall closest to the parking lot) is still missing. It's about a ten foot river at the base of the falls. Rocks have been placed to assist with the crossing but they are slippery so be careful.

Great hike. Beautiful views. Easy. And discovered a back country campground called The Point that I'll be camping at in August.

Amazing hike with and even greater view of the lake as you go along

Stunning lake and mountain views. Our group left one car at Upper Kananaskis Parking Lot and the rest at the Interlake Dam Parking lot. It allowed us to shorten the hike a little because of a late start and cold temperatures. We completed 12 kms of the 16 kms around the lake. Very easy but if beginners I suggest the shuttle method. Terrain is quite flat as the trail winds around the lake. There is a campground about mid point which makes a nice lunch spot, and if warmer why not overnight it. The Kananaskis waterfalls near the campground are something to see.