Tent Ridge Horseshoe

Tent Ridge Horseshoe is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canmore, AB that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

i did this hike with my 8 year old son in early October. Be prepared if you go late season, the snow makes the scrambles a little harder, especially for kids. The hike is amazing and the views are incredible, I highly recommend this for anyone who is not scared of heights or exposure. We ran into a late grizzly on the ridge about one k from the end so we finished the hike in a larger group. 5 hours is probably right for most hikers but if you like to fly and its dry, you can do it in 3. But save time for lunch on the ridge and enjoy the views.

It's a wonderful trail to give you a shock of how Alberta nature and Ricky mountain look amazing.

On September 10, 2016, six of us headed off from Calgary, then Canmore, turned south to route 742, then went uphill along Spray Lake (30 km long) to the end of the Lake. Then we found the trailhead on the foothill. An offline trail map will lock down the trailhead without any issue.

The trail wanders from the inland forest at the east side of the so-called "Tent Ridge HORSESHOE" (so it's a loop), then we climbed up the ridge where we found a weather observation tower. Since the view is God-damned awesome, so quite a few shots were taken along with some pretty blondes :). After 15 minutes lunch, we resumed, heading to the west side of the ridge, where is even more dangerous to climb up to. Once again, the view is breathtaking at the both sides (very steep) and the rocks are loose ( so be prepared for dangers).

Finally we headed downhill and joined a group of three girls who met a black bear at left and 3 grizzly bears at far right. We had to go off-trail to avoid encountering those 3 grizzly bears, into the forest. Eventually we managed to cut through into a nearly-dry creek and went south upwards, then finally found the trail back to the parking spot.

It's been 8.5 hours on 16.5 km trail/off trails. The best trail / exploration experience in Kananaskis country. We love it.

If not encountering the Bears, we could make the trail in 5 hours though.

Definitely deserve a revisit.

Did this hike yesterday and it was fantastic. Pretty easy to find- from Canmore, you go south on 742. The road is filled with gravel and can be quite bumpy. Keep going and you will see signs for Mt Engadine Lodge- turn right. Go over the bridge and drive a couple hundred metres, you will see the trailhead on the left. I would recommend going to the first trailhead (there are 2) and going clockwise. You get a few kilometres of forest, and then you have to scramble up onto the ridge. Amazing views. I am an intermediate hiker and I would say this hike was challenging. Be super cautious on the ridge (it's quite narrow). I don't think it's safe to bring young children. There was more scrambling than expected- be cautious as well, especially in a group because there are parts with loose chunks of rocks that can get dislodged and possibly hit a member of your group if they are lower than you. Gloves wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't know if I would recommend going alone, unless you are an experienced hiker. There is no cell reception. We got hit with a snow storm near the final part of the ridge- really recommend wearing layers and having a waterproof exterior. The final part in the forest was quite muddy and slippery- I didn't bring my poles but I wish I had them. Overall, it took us 5.5hrs with quite a few breaks, and time for pictures. This hike provided breathtaking views and was fun, yet challenging. Would do again.

Awesome!

Loved the views on this hike. Took 4.5hrs to do the clockwise loop.

For experienced hikers this would be a moderate hike with some scrambling. For those less fit or less experienced it would be a moderate-hard. The views are breathtaking and worth it especially if you catch a clear day. Bring a light sweater for when you are ascending the space station it's cold up there and on the summit. Take the trailhead you pass on way to park at the cutblock. Just go back on foot the way you drove about 200 m. Stay to the left all the way through the Forrest. Not so great for dogs or kids. You walk some very narrow cliffs so be careful a fall would be life threatening. Took us 4 hours to complete with stops for photos and catching breath and lunch. But we were cruising pretty good. Plan for a 5 hour day. Learn more about it on Hike Alberta on Facebook and @hike.alberta on Instagram.

Went last week and it was absolutly breathtaking. Difficult and challaging parts but the fear it puts in you feels very accomplishing when completing it. Some spots where you will be scrambling but well worth it. Had sun and blue skies, then thunder and lightning with fat rain and followed by hail. Took us 5 hours due to the slippery decent. A MUST DO !!!

This hike is amazing. This App was really helpful too. Thank you .

It took me and my son 4.5hrs to complete the clockwise loop. The views are out of this world.

Truly recommended.

I hiked this trail yesterday with a friend who is an experienced hiker. I don't hike very much. This hike provided some absolutely incredible views!! However, I agree with Richard that one should consider this hike with awareness and caution. The combination of 823 metre elevation gain, ledge climbing (next to a cliff), and estimated length of time to complete in guidebooks should all be taken into account quite seriously. My experienced hiker friend handled this hike with no issues (as did many people who passed us on the trail), although my friend was getting tired near the end. However, as someone who rarely hikes and having issues with heights (i.e. cliffs, drop-offs), this hike was a real challenge for me. I share this simply as a lesson for me (and my experienced hiker friend) that one really needs to respect all hikes with great respect, and ensure that all those that in a hiking party can comfortably handle what that hike throws at them in terms of difficulty - elevation gain, skills required, length of time to complete, etc. This hike really pushed me to my limits - and we were so pleased we completed it with no injuries. However, after we were finished we did discuss the potential of my fatigue later in the hike increasing the potential of injury. A fall, a sprained ankle, etc could have happened very easily as I got more tired. With us completing the hike in the early evening (in ~9 hours) any problems could have resulted in some real challenge as getting medical help is not close-at-hand. I share this as a 'lived lesson' which I will not forget. I have learned it's so important not to let one's ego ("sure, I can do this hike") to get in the way of wisdom in choosing the right difficulty hike based on the hikers in a group. I welcome anyone, who would like to share their thoughts! Thanks for listening ...

I LOVED this hike! Would definitely return to do it again

This is an amazing hike, but be prepared... It does take longer than what is stated when researching it, so be ready for a full day hike - morning to late afternoon. Some portions of the trail are very narrow next to a cliff, so watch footing.