Stewart Creek & Middle Sister Trail

Stewart Creek & Middle Sister Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canmore, AB that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The Middle Sister summit is a challenging and rewarding scramble nestled between Big Sister and Little Sister, overlooking Canmore to the North and the Bow Valley running East/West. The first 4 km up Stewart Creek is fairly simple. As you enter the base of the Sister's Bowl you will see the Middle Sister faux summit. Don't be fooled. You've a long way to go. Stop for a bite a basecamp and keep going. The view is well worth the plod.

Definitely easy for experienced hikers/walkers. But this must be rated from moderate to hard (summer or fall). Yesterday, Sunday 20 November 2016, couple of buddies went straight ahead to the summit, and I was so sore (my feet, legs, knees, shoulders, by just reaching as far as middle of the mountain trail to the summit. Didn't want to risk it, you know what will happen if you're going to be so sore up there { 8 to 12 below and windy (feels like 15 below)}. Don't skip your snack, my suggestion, take a bite every 1 to 1.5 hours and drink water (2 to 3 liters and/or bottle of energy drink), so when you hit the mountain trail head, you're full and hydrated still. We did it in about 8-9 hours. I'm sure you have good shoes still, trail crampons should work, but semi-rigid type is recommended (I have 12-point for general mountaineering) when there's snow, you may switch from using your boot/shoes to putting back your crampons on. Always bring your headlamps (with fresh or extra batteries) in the fall and winter, I did not bring mine, what was I was thinking, so I was walking down in between 2 buddies so I can see the trail in the creek bed. And I have some photos for you too. :-)

Since the flood in 2013 the trail is pretty well wiped out. Once you get to the base of the scramble the hike gets better. Once you reach the summit. The views are spectacular. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the trail is picking your way up the creek bed one boulder at a time.

The flood of 2013 has washed away the trail, so you now follow the creek bed up. Very rocky, be ready to pick your way up to the top.