Rockbound Lake

Rockbound Lake is a 11 mile out and back trail located near Alberta, AB that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did this last fall. Long hike up to the lake with nice views of castle mountain. But almost too long.

Great hike! Starts out with a steady climb through the forest then it levels out for a bit. Once you reach the beautiful Tower Lake there is a short but steep climb up to Rockbound Lake. Hiking poles were helpful both up and down this steep section as it had been drizzling on and off all day and was slippery. We did this hike in mid September when the Larch trees were changing colour and it was gorgeous! We started the trail at 9am on a Saturday and although the parking lot was full when we finished the hike we didn't feel like the trail was crowded at all! Beautiful views of Castle Mountain and both lakes!

There is a nice detour to Silverton Falls you shouldn't skip! One of my favourite falls in the area and I've never been crowded by people there like at Johnston Canyon.

TIP: although there is an outhouse at the trailhead, the Castle Mountain Junction gas station a few hundred meters away has washrooms that are much nicer to use!

I loved this hike!

Wicked awesome

One incredible hike. The hike to Rockbound is long but worth it in the end. We went above Rockbound which offered unbelievable views. We did manage to make it to the top, but not the actual summit due to in-climate weather. All together 28 km in 10 hours.

Very splendid hike great for the beginners with proper footwear

Completed this one June 19, 2016 A great hike for sure. Not too many views most of the way up other than the beautiful wildflowers. Once you get up higher though you'll first reach Tower Lake then another 20 minutes or so of steep trail to Rockbound Lake. The trail was in pretty good shape a little muddy in sections still though. Be sure to stop by Silverton Falls on the way up 0.7km extra and a nice view of a waterfall! The Castle Mountain Scramble and Mount Helena trails start at Rockbound Lake as well.

Interesting at higher elevations. Great view of eiffel and rock face for most of the hike. trail is well maintained and good for newer hikers.

If you're doing Rockbound, don't skip the side trip to Silverton Falls near the start of the trail. Very pretty.

Long old fire road access within the trees and no views for approximately 6 of the 8.4 ilm. Gain in elevation of 712m mostly over the 6 klm and then slightly to Tower lake with another 70m gain up to Rockbound lake. Fire road average incline rating of 8. Valley rating of less than 40. Mosquitoes are hungry up there in August. Pika and Rock Marmots are common. We were the only ones on the trail all day.

its a long, boring haul with little to no views, and one heck of a workout. rockbound and tower lakes were quite majestic, however, I got eaten alive by mosquitoes (so bad that I was rushed to the ER for the pain. Close to 5000 bites on my one leg alone!) I went in mid-july, but if I were to go again, I would suggest mid to late September. I have friends that have done it then and said it is worth the haul.

This is an absolute amazing hike. I did it with my husky. It is along haul but worth every minute. Reaching rockbound with no one on sight, we had a bald eagle soaring in the clear sky's fishing. The views are magnificent from all around you. We did it in late September just has the leaves changed, it took me back to ontario falls. Its great fishing up there as well. I would recommend the hike to anyone

This trail is not easy. 2600ft elevation gain. The day we hiked it, we were good to about 3.5 miles in - then hit snow. We went another 3/4th of a mile then had to turn around. Bummer we didn't get the payout of Tower and Rockbound Lakes. Great hike though.