Grotto Canyon Trail

Grotto Canyon Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bighorn No 8, AB. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

At first doesn't seem too great because you are on a gravel path under power lines with the sounds of the Lafarge facility roaring away. After you pass a bench on a lookout and carry on into the canyon, it gets quiet and beautiful. Tons of spots for pictures, you walk along a rock bed. I went today with my boyfriend, the canyon isn't a wind blocker! After winding through the canyon you come across a waterfall, it was frozen on the outside with water rushing underneath. Carrying on to the left you get to a wide rock area with some shale hoodoos and one has a cave nestled in it. We climbed it, challenging scramble but worth it!! Thursday from 1pm-3:30pm, saw 2 other sets of people! Very beautiful views

Easy to do and lots of pretty sites to see. Took our two Bostons with us and they did really well. We started around 9 and saw only one person. Walked past the waterfall for a ways and then came back past the waterfall around 11:30, and it was quite crowded all the way back.

Easy to do with the kids. Extremely easy and busy.

Nice easy hike that's good for all ages. Lots of rocks so just make sure you wear good shoes!

Did this with my kids last year. We had fun climbing over the rocks. Good one to do with kids.

Nice in and out. The canyon is beautiful. bit rocky. Lotsa people and dogs on a Sunday.

Beautiful easy hike. Would not take a dog thou. It's a little to much builders and pebbles for my little pups!

Great hike for beginners.

So many people around weekends. It needs a good shoes for that type of road. Once to go.

Love this one! If you keep going past the waterfalls to the left there is a short little trail winding around... there is a very neat surprise around the corner! The surprise was my favourite part of the hike.

A fun hike through a canyon, for all ages. Relatively easy but you can determine how far you wish to go.

easy hike. watch for hieroglyphics on the side of the canyon

She just keeps on going, I found this hike to be actually quite boring. Maybe it would be better for another activity. Or an easy stroll to take the dog out,....thoughts anyone?

Great hike with lots of interesting side quests. The rougher terrain past the cave is fun. The canyon goes for a long time and I have not done the full thing yet, but at some point an hour or two past the cave you come to a rock that is perfect for laying on. What lies beyond? Anyone know?

Great! Wear proper shoes!!! Pictographs are so neat!

I was impressed for a short hike it was awesome