Giant Steps

Giant Steps is a 5.6 mile out and back trail located near Alberta, AB and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until August.

very big payoff for minimal effort

Great hike. Be aware that you must travel in groups of 4 or more some parts of the year because of bears else you could be fined upto $5000.

Not too sure about the 4hr return trip on this sites info. I just did this hike in 5 hrs on June 15/13, and we hiked at a solid pace. Keep in mind - this is a 20km return trip. This trail has it all. I can see why this is one of the more popular trails in Banff national park. Stunning views of lake Louise ski hill, beautiful high mountain peaks that tower over you, beautiful meadows with the creek running through it, and if that's not enough! wait till you walk up the hill and and before you know it - one of the most beautiful emerald green mountain lakes is right before your eye's (Lake Annette). The trail continues past Lake Annette, however it's a steep climb that will suck the air out of you if you're not in shape. This climb continues for a good mile. If I do this hike again....or when I do it again - I will only hike to the lake.