Chester Lake Trail

Chester Lake Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alberta, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

fly fishing

skiing

A understandably very popular snowshoe hike. The kids (8 & 10) did well. Great views before you get to the lake.

First time snowshoeing, such a great hike!! Felt the burn quickly! Can't wait to go back in spring!

Such a great hike. The two times I did it were in the early spring with lots of snow. Second time, we descended on crazy carpets. Such a hoot!

Awesome. Went up on Dec 30, 2016. Lots of snow but trails had been packed down with previous traffic, so I didn't need snow shoes. Very nice scenery. Will come back in the summer!

AWESOME, fairly easy hike. Grizzlies included!

Great trail for snowshoeing

fun day for the first time snowshoeing... lots of incline at some points so really learnt a lot fast! :) can't wait to do it again!

Great hike! The lake at the end was beautiful and the scenery was breathtaking!

Hiked this trail in August and it was wonderful. The views when the trail opens up at the top near the lake are unreal. Really popular, busy hiking trail with lots of people. The lake is a lovely place to sit and lounge and soak your feet in the sunshine. Would definitely do this again!

Absolutely beautiful views, well worth it! You definitely want to access this via Exit 118 rather than via Canmore. It was VERY busy today, so perhaps going on a Stat Holiday wasn't our best decision. The first long stretch goes up, often quite steeply. Poles are definitely an asset. It was snowy, and quite icy in sections, so I was really glad I brought my YakTrax with me. Once I stopped and put them on it got much easier. The views are absolutely breathtaking. We did see some bears in the meadow, although they were too far away to discern what type. Once we got to the lake, we kept going to the Elephant Rocks, which was well worth it. We did attempt doing the loop, but the trail became too snowy after about a 1/2 hour, so we turned back. It took us a little over 5 hours (including time for a few snacks, and letting people pass us going the opposite way on the narrow parts of the trail). If you're hiking this in late fall/winter, I strongly suggest trekking poles and some sort of grips (ie. YakTrax). Also, allow more time to navigate icy areas.

Great short trail, beautiful lake surrounding by mountains. Perfect for lunch.
Don't forget to go a little further to see the elephant rocks.

Chester Lake hike is a lovely hike. We were in no hurry so it took us 2 hours to arrive at the lake and just over 1 hour to hike back down.

Bonus, there is an outhouse at the top near the lake.