Chester Lake Trail

Chester Lake Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alberta, AB that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

fly fishing

skiing

Great hike! The lake at the end was beautiful and the scenery was breathtaking!

Hiked this trail in August and it was wonderful. The views when the trail opens up at the top near the lake are unreal. Really popular, busy hiking trail with lots of people. The lake is a lovely place to sit and lounge and soak your feet in the sunshine. Would definitely do this again!

Absolutely beautiful views, well worth it! You definitely want to access this via Exit 118 rather than via Canmore. It was VERY busy today, so perhaps going on a Stat Holiday wasn't our best decision. The first long stretch goes up, often quite steeply. Poles are definitely an asset. It was snowy, and quite icy in sections, so I was really glad I brought my YakTrax with me. Once I stopped and put them on it got much easier. The views are absolutely breathtaking. We did see some bears in the meadow, although they were too far away to discern what type. Once we got to the lake, we kept going to the Elephant Rocks, which was well worth it. We did attempt doing the loop, but the trail became too snowy after about a 1/2 hour, so we turned back. It took us a little over 5 hours (including time for a few snacks, and letting people pass us going the opposite way on the narrow parts of the trail). If you're hiking this in late fall/winter, I strongly suggest trekking poles and some sort of grips (ie. YakTrax). Also, allow more time to navigate icy areas.

Great short trail, beautiful lake surrounding by mountains. Perfect for lunch.
Don't forget to go a little further to see the elephant rocks.

Chester Lake hike is a lovely hike. We were in no hurry so it took us 2 hours to arrive at the lake and just over 1 hour to hike back down.

Bonus, there is an outhouse at the top near the lake.

The hike is not bad and the end is really gorgeous! Also came across a grizzly... busy digging and did not care about the 30 or so people watching it from afar. Most of the elevation gain at the beginning. Started really early (early as in we were the first car in the lot) and then came back with the lot overflowing. Really popular trail!

This is a beautiful trail! I went when the larches were all changing colours for fall and it was stunning. It's a short easy trek up to the lake and then the elephant rocks are just a few 100m away. You can keep going past the rocks to the 3 lakes which gets a little more challenging but is very worth it. Round trip to the first lake was about 4hr with stopping to climb the rocks and eat lunch. I would rate this as an easy-moderate hike definitely good for kids and dogs.

Great easy/moderate hike! Beautiful hiking through the wooded forest. Keep going to Elephant Rocks - awesome! Then keep going to next lake. Beautiful larch trees in the fall.
Great hike for families.

So amazing I would definitely do this hike again! The trail levels out a lot so it's really not too hard.

Great trail. First part is uphill but not too bad and then you reach beautiful alpine meadows all the way to the lake. Bring bug spray in summer. Lots of flies and mosquitos. Gorgeous emerald lake. Took us 4 hours in total with lunch and break at the lake. Beautiful views and hike. Recommend it. More info on Hike Alberta on Facebook

We hiked this in September to see the larches and the trail was packed. Kids were 4&6 and were ok doing it. Even better than the lake was hiking a further 1km after the lake to the giant rocks to climb on. Kids loved them, best part of the hike for them.

Great hike! Worth the trip up. The elevation is a good climb. Spotted a grizzly at the top. Keep your dogs on a leash.. Lots of them off leash yesterday.

Wonderfull