Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail

Canyon Creek Ice Cave Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alberta, AB that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Nice walk to the trail head but next time I'm biking.

The walk from the parking lot to the trailhead is long and boring, and seems never ending on the way back. You have to keep your eye out for the red flagging tape in the trees once you're on the trail or it's very easy to go the wrong way.

Bike to the part where you have to start climbing. Take a bike lock.

Short, fun and easy to do. I did it with a four year old.

Completed this trail in early summer. The walk to and from the cave does not offer much excitement. We did see some Marmots giving some attitude about mid way to the cave. It is a nice climb to the cave. You need a flashlight to see into the back of the cave.

The overall experience was awesome. the walk from the parking lot is a little dull but totally worth it once you get to the cave. MAKE SURE YOU BRING A LIGHT SOURCE. There is a lot of cave to check out so make sure you bring a light so you can explore it a bit!

nice walk in, trail well marked but we took the wrong way at the fork which made for a much longer scramble to the cave.

We parked in the main lot and walked the dirt road to the trailhead; it's 7km. It's a nice walk, gets you warmed up for the trail.

The trail is marked well and the ascent starts almost right away and the hike is awesome.

Bring helmet and headlamp - will not disappoint!

Also, it's an ice cave so it's cold - bring proper gear.

Easy! Except for the scramble to the top

this is a difficult hike! bring a bike to ride to the the trailhead, the walk in and out is time consuming and brutal!

Was a moderate to hard trail for sure. You can't drive to the trailhead so we chose to bike in, which is about 5 km to the trailhead. It starts out easier at the trail head but then begins to ascend quite a bit - I'm in excellent shape and had to stop to catch my breath a bit. There was also a bit of a scramble to get to the top, make sure you are wearing proper shoes! Ensure you bring head lamps or flashlights for the cave - it goes into the mountain quite a bit and it's pretty neat to explore.

Defiantly fun, but not 8 hours for two 21 year olds. Pretty short climb up to the caves, but worth the views. Defiantly bring a bike, it's all uphill towards the trail, but it's a refreshing ride back to the car. All in all it took us about 4 hours, and we stopped for lunch and explored a little. Would recommend it though, good intermediate hike.

Wow, was told this was easy. It was most not, I made it but it was difficult. Beautiful. Will do this again now I know what to expect.

Great, somewhat short hike. The first stretch is on a gravel road (about 7km), we rode our bikes through this part of the trail, which I would suggest to other hikers as well. You can chain your bike up to trees at the bottom of the trail leading into the forest. The hike from there gets a little more difficult, with steeper and less stable terrain. Getting to the cave is worth it!! It's a lot colder in there, so I suggest being a jacket & pants, no matter how warm of a day it is. It's also recommended to bring a helmet, since there are cliffs above that create falling rocks. It quickly drops in temperature once you're in there. Beautiful views, great place to enjoy lunch! I also suggest going earlier in the day, as it does get busy around noon.

I loved this! my family, not so much. We took are kids age 7 and 9 and my wife was very worried as it is very difficult descent near thr cave entrance. The cave is amazing. really cool to see an ice wall when it was plus 30 out.

if you have a road bike, I would recommend bringing that with you on this trail as the first km (approx 4km) is only an access gravel road before you see a trail sign for hikers. the hike up to the cave is worth the pain. can be confusing as there are no trail mark indicators (diamond shaped or ribbon).

It was a great hike, amazing view from the cave. Drifted of track a little about 150 meters from the cave but no big deal...made it more challenging than what it was. Got to the cave around 2:30 pm. It was 24 C and ran out of H2O, poor planning on my part.

This hike requires lots of water and a hiking pole.

The hike up the fire road encompassing for roughly half the hike, and is very boring. The actual trek to the cave in enjoyable, and the cave is a decently enjoyable trek.