Located between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, Fort Custer features three lakes, a river, second growth forests, prairie restoration, three lakes, the Kalamazoo River an excellent trail system used by hikers, horse riders and mountain bikers.

Nice blend of flats and inclines. Trail is well marked.

Decent day hike that can shorten into a 2 mile or lengthen into a 6 mile. I personally enjoy the 4 mile loop around both Whitmore lake and jackson hole. I park in the Whitmore Lake parking lot and make my way south and go in a counter clockwise loop. You soon past an old silo that is neat to poke around in. You'll make your way around the lake when there are two cabins and a well if you need some water. The trail links to post 5 which will either take you between the two lakes shortening the trip to 2 miles or proceed to point 6, 7, and 8. The trail does get somewhat confusing near the equestrian staging area but you can pick up the trail near the pit toilet. You'll make your way around the east side of Jackson hole and skirt the Fort Custer campground. After a short leg you'll end up at the parking lot.

A very nice and relaxed 4 mile loop that is appropriate for all ages. Nothing crazy or outrageous. There is a small stream in between post 5 and 6 that requires some athleticism to keep your shoes dry.

9 days ago

Very easily manageable trail in southwest Michigan. Be careful when hiking as mountain bikers frequent the loop. A great loop to get outside and enjoy a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

mountain biking
6 months ago

mountain biking
6 months ago

Yellow trail is a nice short easy ride. Green tall is challenging at times but absolutely amazing! Trails are well marked and very well maintained. A very fun ride.

Challenging at times.

mountain biking
7 months ago

mountain biking
1 year ago

Follow up to yesterday's comment ...

I finally rode the Red Trail today. I would consider my riding skills at moderate & the Red Trail as 4 of 5 difficulty. With that said, it was the coolest trail that I have been on so far ... albeit my riding experience is somewhat limited. A couple places I had to walk the bike because of the difficulty, but there are also lots of challenging sections that I managed to pedal through that were obstacles that I have never tried before. Great fun & great test for my current riding skills!!

mountain biking
1 year ago

Blue trail is nice, short, easy ride around Jackson Hole Lake & Whitford Lake. About 4 miles & can be completed in less than half an hour. Nice trail that I would rate a 2 difficulty.

Green trail is much more difficult. 7 miles around Eagle Lake that I have only ridden once so far. Plenty of sections where I had to get off the bike and walk, but I'm not a seasoned rider either. I would rate this a 4 difficulty.

Red trail is 8.6 miles long ... have not ride this trail yet, so I cannot offer any comments at this time.

Not for the casual mountain biker. Some of the trails are easy and fun. Others are way too narrow and have way too many sandy areas.

I hike the Whitmore and Jackson Hole Lake trails often. I like it because it is a true loop trail and you don't have to backtrack. It is an easy and well maintained trail with an occasional view of the water. Not much wildlife in the park. Some swans and ducks on the lake. Saw one heron on Saturday. The trail is dry now, but can be muddy. I have heard and seen sandhill cranes out here (near the Whitmore Lake parking area) in previous years. Ticks are a problem in summer months so make sure your dog is protected.

mountain biking
2 years ago

Had a great time with my son. I use to mountain bike back before there marked trails to do so. Riding on these trails was great. Lots of whoops and speed. We will be back